Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a couple day fishing getaway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a couple day fishing getaway...

So I've got some vacation time at work that I havent used and a perfectly good expensive kayak that probably hasn't been used as much as it should have this year. I want to combine those things. I'd like to take a couple day trip somewhere and do some fishing in an area I normally wouldn't go. Im looking for suggestions.

I would be car topping this journey....most likely be going alone......prefer freshwater over salt, but some saltwater wouldn't be horrible. Probably looking at 3-4 days. Maybe late September time frame before the water gets too cold. I have a Jackson Big Rig....so paddling super long distances isn't really in the cards.

I originally wanted to do a couple days around Deale Island and such, exploring all the back bays, but with the weather being screwed up this year the Trout & Redfish (two species on the bucket list) haven't been on the scene as much as in years past....I might scrap that idea for a better season.

So open to suggestions.

If you want to get some reds and trout head down to VA Beach. The reds a really tearing it up this year. If you get on the tidewater kayak anglers forum and go to salt water reports you can get some ideas of where their at. I know Lynnhaven inlet has been a good spot this year, or you could go the eastern shore route on the flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Comment

Originally posted by FL Boy View Post
      If you want to get some reds and trout head down to VA Beach. The reds a really tearing it up this year. If you get on the tidewater kayak anglers forum and go to salt water reports you can get some ideas of where their at. I know Lynnhaven inlet has been a good spot this year, or you could go the eastern shore route on the flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Plus 1 for this idea. Although the ES of VA hasnt been as productive as the other side of the bay. You don't have to paddle too far in Lynnhaven to find that red you're after.
      Last edited by RavensDfense; 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

If you like fresh water, I recommend SH. It got everything from fun, tasty, almost impossible to find for some . I guess mattawoman & mallow bay would be couple good place to start

Comment

I just did 3 days in St. Mary's county, St. Jerome's Creek, St. Mary's River and Point Lookout, I'm sure there are other options around there.
          Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Come on down to VA beach. I am down there just about every weekend. Late Sept into October is a great time. Water is still warm and tourist crowd thins out a lot. If you are looking at late Sept, I recommend just waiting until first week of October when striper season starts up. I love fall, can't wait.

Comment

Working...
            X