Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flounder but no sheepshead, no spade fish at CBBT (Aug 16, 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder but no sheepshead, no spade fish at CBBT (Aug 16, 2014)

I was going to try mainly sheepshead and spade fish at CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, VA). I arrived at the tackle and bait store on Northampton ST., VA Beach at 06:00AM. But fiddler crab (for sheepshead) were sold out already. So I bought frozen sand flee. I bought frozen clam, but I threw it away immediately because I found that frozen clam (I bought) was decomposed already when I opened the package.

So spade fish was out of the target species list for the day.

Dave (HokieDJ) tipped me before the trip that 1) I fish for flounder during the outgoing tide. 2) Use tandem rig: 5 " Gulp Swimming Mullet for teaser and a 2 OZ whit buck tail with a 4" white Gulp Swimming Mullet.
    So I fished for flounder first during the outgoing tide. I caught two keeper flounder at 21.5" and 16.5". I release a 15" flounder.

After done with flounder fishing, I fished for sheepshead until the frozen sand flee ran out.
    I caught a bunch of croaker and oyster toad fish on sand flee but no sheepshead.

Next time I will buy chowder clam a day before the trip at H mart or Lotte.

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-19-2014, 05:04 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    Next time I will buy chowder clam a day before the trip at H mart or Lotte.
    I'm usually loading a case of napa cabbage, and other items for my wife to make kimchi when we go to those markets...didn't think about them doubling as a bait shop. LOL

Nice report, flounder and video.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      I'm usually loading a case of napa cabbage, and other items for my wife to make kimchi when we go to those markets...didn't think about them doubling as a bait shop. LOL

Nice report, flounder and video.
      Yea man they sell fresh fish, clam, etc... And cheaper than bait shop imo

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Thanks for the report, do sheep's eat blue crab? Could buy some at lotte beforehand
        Ryan,
        I am not sure. But I will also bring the blue crab next time. For the upper bay anglers, getting quality baits at the bait shops in VA beach area is not guaranteed.
        I am also planning to bring FishBites with clam flavor for spadefish.

Somehow I double-posted the same report. I removed the one you had replied to, and I replied to you on this thread.

Thank you
        joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
        X