SPECK-taculary relaxing afternoon at Piney Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPECK-taculary relaxing afternoon at Piney Point

I did not try to find a fishing partner today since my wife could not make up her mind the night before if the Honey-do's were gonna happen morning or evening....all academic when I had to go in to work in the morning anyway.

But both she and I were determined to get the "Surprise" on the water and wash off some of the mental grime of the week. So at 2:00 I was on the Piney Point boat ramp heading out on a hunt for my favorite fish...western shore speckled seatrout.

I was trolling my favorite brook trout colored rapala and one of the new Gary Yamamoto Teknuu minnow (this lure has a weird rolling wobble....never fished anything like it) and paddling with a 4 MPH tailwind.....ahhhhh perfect.
    Before I got to my trout spot, I stopped for a couple white perch in what used to be a big grass field.....which today was void of grass.....weird. But there were still a few small/med size perch in the vicinity. I then snapped on my plugs again and started trolling. As I crossed a little sandbar the Teknuu got a hit......not a trout, rather a very aggressive white perch. Those guys kill me when they hit big lures!

I trolled without success for about an hour, then switched to the lure Ictalarus Bill caught his specks on last weekend at Dennis Point... white Gulp. At the end of the first pass through the area, I got a hook up and it was obviously a trout. I got my little net ready and scooped up a nice 17 incher!! Such a beautiful fish!

I tried to fish the area again, but the baby bluefish kept eating my tails (the reason I don t use gulp this time of year very often) But I was persistent and soon, BANG, nice 15 incher. Once again, on white gulp.

Since I like to eat trout and always prefer to cook/eat them same day I catch them, I turned the yak for home. I was a happy guy! And in so much better a frame of mind!

I am eating the fish as I type! Made trout tempura!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Nice work- I'm with you Kevin...a couple of nice fresh specks on the table are hard to beat...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Awesome Kevin and Speck Tempura sounds DElish!

Very happy for you bro!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Comment

Awesome, thanks for sharing

Comment

Great report Kevin! I have a few of the Yamamoto lures and the action is very unique. First time I trolled with them, I thought something was wrong with the lip. So far I've gotten a few schooler stripers with them
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Congrats on the trout Kevin!! I know how much you've put in chasing those guys... And 2 keepers at that! Nice man!

Comment

Nice job. I have those Yamato lures. They are different. Caught blues and stripes with mine..

Mobile

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                  Congrats on the trout Kevin!! I know how much you've put in chasing those guys... And 2 keepers at that! Nice man!
                  so let's plan a trip ! I am gone next 2 weeks though. But, yes I do love hunting them.

Comment

Great work on the specs. I'm glad to hear they are finally showing up in your area.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice.
                      west end trout assassins

Comment

Great job on the trout Kevin.
                        I knew I should have gone out Saturday.

How deep was the water you caught them in?
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

About 6 ft deep. At the m&g bill caught his at 5 feet. I was trolling slow so the gulp was close to the bottom

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also at the M&G I caught mine at about the same depth
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                            X