Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assateague Island flats/ back bay fishing

Hey all,

Headed to Assateague Island for an over night trip. I'll be camping out on the bay side right next to a boat launch. I've never fished the flats/backwaters of Assateague Island and I'm excited to try my luck. I'm used to fishing the gulf coast flats and back bays so I hope it's a little of the same flavor. Has anyone had any luck this year fishing these waters? I was told that the reds and blues are running the flats at the moment and I hope it's still the case!
    Hugo
    Jackson Cuda 12, Green Hornet
    USMC Retired

The blues may be there, but I can say that the reds are not there yet. There have been a few strays caught around the verrazano bridge and OC inlet, but nothing on the flats that I have heard or seen. I am not saying you will not get lucky and find them (I really hope you do), but myself and other local guys have been trying multiple times every two weeks or so with not a single red. Last year was a different story. We flat out crushed them around this time. There are pleanty of houndfish and short bass to keep you entertained. Flounder in the channels. Good luck and I'll look forward to your report!

Here is a report from last year that may be helpful to you.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

That's an awesome report from last year and gives me hope for tomorrow! Thanks for the great info! I know I've been reading this year of how the winter threw off a lot of fish activity this year. Hopefully everything is just running a little late this year but I will be sure to post my report.
      Hugo
      USMC Retired

Comment

No problem, man. And I hope youre right about the harsh winter. Thats what I have been saying since the beginning of July. "It'll happen in another week." is getting old fast. haha

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm heading out to my dad's second home in Ocean Pines tomorrow night. I'll be staying there through Tuesday. Doing nothing but fishing. This is one area I was planning to check out. If anyone else will be in the area then and wants to meet up, we'd have to exchange numbers by PM before I leave. I'll have little to no internet access out there.

Anyone know of stores/restaurants where I could just pull in to the lot and get online with my laptop?

Comment

I'll be south of the 611 bridge behind Assateague Island. First time paddling this area and I will as well be doing nothing but fishing, All day Thursday and Friday afternoon.
            Hugo
            USMC Retired

Comment

Originally posted by LoudounFisher View Post
              I'm heading out to my dad's second home in Ocean Pines tomorrow night. I'll be staying there through Tuesday. Doing nothing but fishing. This is one area I was planning to check out. If anyone else will be in the area then and wants to meet up, we'd have to exchange numbers by PM before I leave. I'll have little to no internet access out there.

Anyone know of stores/restaurants where I could just pull in to the lot and get online with my laptop?
              Most McDonald's have wifi or Starbucks

Comment

How did it go down there?

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I went out there yesterday from about 3-7, picked up one nice flounder about 18-19 inches on a jig with gulp, and a few croaker. All caught in the channel north of the bridge.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by snapper; 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late report. But the wind made the water very rough on Thursday and Friday. Trolled most of the day back and forth from the area in front of the launch and the 611 bridge. Tried fish bites near and under bridge with no hits. The cow nose rays were out in force and they didn't even take my lures. Used Saltwater assassins (electric chicken and sea shad) on a 1/8 jig head. Also used a Yo Zuri crystal minnow to troll in the channel behind Assateague. My guess was the storm bringing in low pressure and hit early Friday morning and it rained all night even though forecast called for light rain. Better luck next time I guess.
                    Hugo
                    USMC Retired

Comment

Sounds like fishing is slow everywhere....
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X