Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass Shrimp

Morning all,

Looking to catch some grass shrimp in the Bay. Have easy access to the susky flats area, but do they live that far up the bay? I know the salinity is very low up there. If not, how far south would I need to go before finding some?

These guys: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldgu...n_grass_shrimp

I saw some guys scraping them off the ramp ,with a net, at sandy point the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by groundhog View Post
      I saw some guys scraping them off the ramp ,with a net, at sandy point the other day.
      I'll make sure to bring my net next time . What are some of the best place to net them beside the ramp? jetty?

Comment

I've not seen them up at the flats .........

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
          I'll make sure to bring my net next time . What are some of the best place to net them beside the ramp? jetty?
          Any type of grassy shoreline will do

Comment

I don't know any thing about grass shrimp. I was just curious as to what they were up to and went over and asked. They had some success. I later saw them in their jon boat against the shore scraping the grass there.

Comment

Look for grassy shorelines as Matt said, but I also find it easy to hit older bulkhead near the grassy areas too. Just scrape a small bait net (@ 4' long, 10" in diameter, $4 at Wal-Mart) along the bottom of the bulkhead at higher tide and you should hit the mother lode. Use the biggest ones on the hook, top & bottom rig on the bottom. There's no better live bait for perch, they love 'em. The only problem is you'll have to catch a lot of dinks to get to the keepers.

Comment

I have caught channel catfish 3 to 5 lbs in the lower James on grass shrimp. 3 or 4 shrimp threaded on each hook on a typical double bottom rig. They love them.
                2013 WS Ride 135
                2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Get yourself one of those aquarium dip nets and just scoop....
                  • along grassy shoreline
                  • boat ramps
                  • dock pilings

A fellow at Marina West (Chesapeake Beach) introduced them to me. His typical fishing trip would start with scooping some grass shrimp at the docks. Then he would head up Fishing Creek a little ways and use the grass shrimp to catch some small spot. After collecting a half dozen spot, he would cruise out to the Bay and live line the spot for rockfish and blues.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Has anyone used the 4" glass shrimp made by Live Target ? Wonder if it works. You get 4 of them in a package for $10.
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                      Has anyone used the 4" glass shrimp made by Live Target ? Wonder if it works. You get 4 of them in a package for $10.
                      They look very life-like. Impressive.

But with the position that the shrimp is in you would have to work it slowly across the bottom.
                      When a shrimp is fleeing a predator it tucks it tail under and scoots backwards. This bait is not made to look like a fleeing shrimp. Maybe it can be re-rigged.... or maybe it just needs to be jigged very slowly.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                        They look very life-like. Impressive.

But with the position that the shrimp is in you would have to work it slowly across the bottom.
                        When a shrimp is fleeing a predator it tucks it tail under and scoots backwards. This bait is not made to look like a fleeing shrimp. Maybe it can be re-rigged.... or maybe it just needs to be jigged very slowly.
                        Thanks, Buzz!
                        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                        Cobra Explorer

Comment

All the grass Shrimp I have used are the small ones that were caught as described in the other info. I've never seen any that size, do they have any scent added?

Comment

You can also scrape along rip rap. They hang out in there...another reason why perch frequent those areas. I think grass shrimp are definitely perch's favorite. They can't lay off of 'em.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Thanks for the info, everyone! Looks like I should head farther south to find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X