Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Smallwood Park fishing?

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the forum and still new to kayak fishing. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience at Fort Smallwood park in Anne Arundel county? I don't have any electronics as of yet but my setup solid and can't wait to get a fishfinder/gps installed. Any and all suggestions/advice is appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by TXfly16; 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM.
    Hugo
    Jackson Cuda 12, Green Hornet
    USMC Retired

I went last week at high tide without any luck. The ranger said because of the low rainfall, even at high tide it is lower than normal and the best fishing is the day after a rain. It's a perfect snake fish environment and the ranger said anglers pull a lot out of there. Plenty of boat ramps and docks.
    Plus, it is beautiful there.
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Ft Smallwood is a convenient location for me for kayaking. Short 20 yard walk to the water from the parking area. You'd be hard pressed to find the water deeper than about 6 feet any where near there unless you head far out into the channel. But last year it was great for White Perch. I've tried two or three times this year and there wasn't much there and what was was small. Ususally you can fish the private boat docks south of the launch point about half a mile or so down with success, as well as the rock jetties. There's still some small perch there. Last year it was good for perch, catfish and croakers. It's a good area for just plain kayaking though.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info!
        Hugo
        Jackson Cuda 12, Green Hornet
        USMC Retired

Comment

Fort smallwood is a great place to fish for stripers in October an November for myself

Comment

I've never fished there but looking at the charts, it looks promising. It's basically a long point. On an incoming tide, I'd fish the western side of the drop off and do the opposite on an outgoing tide. For this time of year, it'd probably be best this time of year to look for structure changes and try fishing on the shelf or on the trough. It's near white rocks as well which gathers stripers from what I hear. I've fish just a little north of the are, but never this far south.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
              I went last week at high tide without any luck. The ranger said because of the low rainfall, even at high tide it is lower than normal and the best fishing is the day after a rain. It's a perfect snake fish environment and the ranger said anglers pull a lot out of there. Plenty of boat ramps and docks.
              Plus, it is beautiful there.
              Peggy - Are you referring to Gen. Smallwood State Park on Mattawoman Creek? That is a different facility from Ft. Smallwood county park in northern AA County.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X