I don't like eels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like eels

Since this has been a very slow Rockfish season for me I've decided to start keeping the big Spot for me to eat as well as finding keeper Perch. Saturday afternoon I went back to Weems Creek and fished out of the creek and down to the rockpile by the flagpole across from Jonas Green and then back again. I wasn't having too much luck with the bigger fish until about 730 when I was back by the docks on the corner of Weems and the Severn. Then I caught five nice Perch and Spot. I was enjoying the start of twilight and had one more nightcrawler to use so I set it in by a dock piling. Sure enough I got a light strike and some fight. Since the sun was down by now it was dusk and I'm anxious to see if I got my last big perch.

But I pull it up and this danged eel was on my hook. I've never been afraid of snakes until I read Lonsome Dove and the scene in the river where the cowboy was killed by a nest of Cottonmouths. So water and snake like things give me the creepy crawlies now. So I'm looking at this eel on my line wondering what the heck I'm going to do. It starts twirling and twisting itself in a knot of my line, so I figure I might as well get a picture of this as my buddies back west have never had an eel on their line. Soon this slimy thing is just a mess on my pool, but my dilemma about unhooking it resolves itself as it falls into my kayak free. I'm hoping that it will just find the scupper hole and scoot on out to freedom. But nope, it goes to the end of my feet, hits the wall and comes moving quickly back towards the family jewels.

Long story short, after a short pushing and shoving match I got it back into the water. Now I'm sure that everyone else here would have just grabbed it, unhooked it, been thankful for having some good rockfish bait and moved on. But for me, I'd rather have a shark in the water than an eel in my kayak

_20140811_100458.jpgloose eel.jpg
    Last edited by azmdted; 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM.

I have held one before. Amazing creatures who have a fascinating life cycle. They do the "reverse" of salmon and hickory shad (American Eels live in fresh water and head to the sea to spawn).

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...erican_eel.htm
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
      Long story short, after a short pushing and shoving match I got it back into the water. Now I'm sure that everyone else here would have just grabbed it, unhooked it, been thankful for having some good rockfish bait and moved on. But for me, I'd rather have a shark in the water than an eel in my kayak
      LOL...
      You got off easy. Those things are slime producing machines. Very difficult to hold while removing the hook.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Great bait right there. I put them in individual ziplocks and then just hook them through the bag and tear them out when I need them. Helps keep everything contained in the yak. Only thing worse than a loose eel sliming up your yak is a bunch of live green crabs escaping in your cockpit while togging. Had that happen a few times this year
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Had a blue crab run and take shelter in my crotch region once. I froze and used the crabbing glove to save myself.

Comment

Working...
          X