Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Pup-less in OC. Flounder showed a little love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Pup-less in OC. Flounder showed a little love.

So far, there hasn't been a single pup caught or seen on the OC flat where we found them last year. But still, I (and SlobberBob) continue to search about once per week. I launched this morning at sunrise and headed out into the bay. Its pretty nice out there before every tourist with a jet ski wakes up around 9:30 and zooms past.

I hit the flat and began scan casting with the new Z-Man topwater plastic popper. I rigged it on a weedless worm hook and it stayed on top pretty well. When I switched to a weighted worm hook it stayed just under the surface. I caught two short bass. I can see it working for specks in shallow grass beds.

After two drifts through lots of bait and no reds, I moved to deeper water in search of flounder. The shorts have been thick but this morning, what was biting was a decent class of fish. In about 2 hours I caught three (17,19, 21) and lost a nice fish. The bite died as the flood current stopped. Most fish were holding tight to the sod banks in 10-17 FOW. Didn't take the best pics, but here is what I have.

(The best picture opportunity came when a women completely wiped out on her paddle board. She hauled tail back on the board and told me she was worried about where the Tiger shark recently tracked in the bay was.)

17 incher

21 incher

Home by noon and had some flounda samiches.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

RavensDfence , where is your launch site? I'll be down for 4 days in September.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I launched from a private community, but you could easily launch from Sunset Marina in OC and drift south. The channel in front of Castaways campground is a good place to find flounder. September is pretty busy for me, but depending on the 4 days you are here, I'll join you if you want company. September can be a really good time for flounder...cooler water temps and less tourist (no offense )

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will be coming down Thursday 11 in the evening, 12,13, & 14. One day on the Surf, One day on the yak then return home on 14th. It would be great if we could hook up a day. I don't like the crowds either.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I was fishing in front of Castaways yesterday.... nothing but Bluefish for me. The boat traffic was unbelievable.. you can launch at castaways beach and parking in the visitor lot... family has property near there, never had a problem. You can fish and listen to the reggae music as you drift lol... there's a great beach launch at the Varizano Bridge further south

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          I launched from a private community, but you could easily launch from Sunset Marina in OC and drift south. The channel in front of Castaways campground is a good place to find flounder. September is pretty busy for me, but depending on the 4 days you are here, I'll join you if you want company. September can be a really good time for flounder...cooler water temps and less tourist (no offense )

Comment

I guess you figured out how to secure your cooler lid?

Originally posted by hale3333 View Post
            I was fishing in front of Castaways yesterday.... nothing but Bluefish for me. The boat traffic was unbelievable.. you can launch at castaways beach and parking in the visitor lot... family has property near there, never had a problem. You can fish and listen to the reggae music as you drift lol... there's a great beach launch at the Varizano Bridge further south
            They let you launch there? I called there last year when looking for new spots and I was told I had to be staying there or visiting someone staying there to launch. Might have to check into that again.

It is nice going out that way in the evening and enjoying some live music while fishing!
            Brian

Comment

What did them flounder hit?

Comment

minnow and gulp (chartreuse) combo on a carolina rig

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm headed down there today. No kayak this trip I'll be fishing in my friends 23' Parker.

Comment

Good luck out there. I just got back from 2 days of non-kayak fishing in OC. Flounder fishing was pretty slow all around because the water was still pretty dirty. Hope it's cleared up a bit for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

+Just got back from O.C. fishing was very slow. I got 2 keepers and 1 throw back in 2 days. One of them was a nice 24 1/2 incher on yellow Gulp.flounder.jpg

Comment

That is a real nice inshore OC flounder. Hopefully the fishing picks up soon. I can't wait to get back out there, this time with the yak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like some guys are catching drum......
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                          X