CBBT & Lynnhaven Fri/Sat 8-9 Aug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    Are you sure? It doesn't quite look like this.
    Haha I actually saw that picture too when I googled pigfish earlier. Trying for triggers on Saturday at chsp, not expecting much though.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
      That peddle back was brutal. The fish and motor drag only allow me to go 2.2 mph. I had to peddle and paddle just to get up to 3.0 but I couldn't keep that up for long.
      Yup I saw those three flounders caused the big drag. My legs were sore after dragging the 26" black drum whole day.

joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        I ate the 26" black drum.
        It was little difficult to fillet the drum because of the large and thick scale. I kept the meat between head and vent because the meat from vent to tail looked tough. So I had about 2.3-3 lb of fillet.

The fillet look very close to that of red drum. My wife made paella with additional ingredient, shrimp, mussel, calamari. Well, black drum was pretty good.

I still have a half of the fillet. I am planning to to grill it tommow

joe
        People say big black drum doesn't taste good, but I figured 26" is considered "medium" and should be good. After I caught it, I asked a passing boater about black drum table fare. He said 26" is good, and wanted to trade my drum for the 21" flounder he caught. That's why I decided not to trade or release it. Anyway, haven't tried paella yet, so will ask my wife to make it some day. How was the grilled drum?
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

20140810_100907-1111822692.jpg I caught some pig fish out there this weekend also. I do not think porgy is the same thing and I don't know what the heck that thing is in the pic above but I do not think you will catch one of those at cbbt.

Comment

I've caught a couple of those grunts at the CBBT before.

Man I would of traded in that drum for flounder any day

Comment

I grilled the drum. This time I seasoned with salt and pepper only.
              The meat wasn't tough as I heard. It is not even firm. The raw fillet looked like the redfish fillet, but was flavorless when I ate it. I think every fish comes with its own unique flavor. But not the drum I ate. To me, it is tofu of the sea.
              So people prefer bluefish, mackerel, croaker, wahoo, calamari, red snapper and dolphinfish may not give high point. But people prefer tuna, flounder, striper, and cod may give higer point.

Joe "arm chair food critic" with a few taste buds on tongue
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-13-2014, 07:27 AM.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

LOL! Tofu of the sea...
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Tofu....yeah, nicely said. And I like tofu prepared the many ways. Thanks for the food critic report.

Comment

Tofu is like every girl's type

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Tofu....yeah, nicely said. And I like tofu prepared the many ways.
                    Thank you Efrin. What you wrote was exactly what I meant. I had no intention of putting tofu down. Being compared to tofu is a compliment if you are a food.
                    Mustafa knew I ate a lot of tofu because he saw a bunch of tofu containers in the fishing section in my garage.

I can eat tofu, plain, or with soy sauce, hot sauce, catsup, cocktail sauce, salsa, any salad dressing, and salt and pepper. But I can't eat with honey. No food is perfect... I think

As a matter of fact, I wanted to be like tofu when I was a teenager. My plan was somehow I became every girl's type that time. I was ready to be whatever girls wanted me to be. But, because the government and alien conspiracies in 60's (no other excuses I could think of), it didn't work out at all. I had only one subtle bite, and YES, I set the hook firmly.

Sincerely,
                    Joe "still every girl's type" Dynamite
                    BTW, The girl I caught said I can go fishing tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      Thank you Efrin. What you wrote was exactly what I meant. I had no intention of putting tofu down. Being compared to tofu is a compliment if you are a food.
                      Mustafa knew I ate a lot of tofu because he saw a bunch of tofu containers in the fishing section in my garage.

I can eat tofu, plain, or with soy sauce, hot sauce, catsup, cocktail sauce, salsa, any salad dressing, and salt and pepper. But I can't eat with honey. No food is perfect... I think

As a matter of fact, I wanted to be like tofu when I was a teenager. My plan was somehow I became every girl's type that time. I was ready to be whatever girls wanted me to be. But, because the government and alien conspiracies in 60's (no other excuses I could think of), it didn't work out at all. I had only one subtle bite, and YES, I set the hook firmly.

Sincerely,
                      Joe "still every girl's type" Dynamite
                      BTW, The girl I caught said I can go fishing tomorrow
                      People eat tofu with honey?
                      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

If I may further add. Tofu has a subtle taste, and is often spiced or marinated to suit a particular meal. Very versatile food item. Not to mention its high protein and iron content.

This is what Joe is saying: Black drum does not have a strong fishy taste like mackerel or blue fish. BD has a subtle taste that can be be prepared to suit your liking. Whether you like a lot of garlic, tartar sauce, soy sauce or whatever, BD will go well with it. So, it's a versatile fish.....a tofu of the sea.

One of my favorites is thinly sliced tofu (around 1/4 " thick) panned fried in butter or oil until lightly browned on the surface. Eat it straight or with soy sauce. Mmmmm...good.

So, Joe. Does that mean you have a subtle personality that can be "seasoned" to a every girl's liking...lol....

Comment

Yeah that's why I thought it was funny.... If anyone knows Tofu it's Joe! LOL
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                          X