Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT & Lynnhaven Fri/Sat 8-9 Aug

CBBT 8-8-14, Fri

I met ComeOnFish and HokieDJ at the CBBT launch site. I was on the water after 0800 hrs. Nice day, mostly sunny with low winds.

We headed toward the first island. I soaked frozen sand fleas and clams. Joe and Dave used fiddlers. Our targets were sheeps, spades, triggers and flounder. We also jigged, and I used a tandem rig with white Gulp and white bucktail.

By late morning I had a 19” flounder, and caught it hanging a sand flea. Yep, that surprised me.

During early afternoon, nobody had a trigger, sheep or spade. These fish just didn’t seem to be around. We all caught a lot of toads and croaker, and Dave also had flounder. Then after 1 pm, I dropped a sand flea, and within five seconds, BAM! I get a big hook up.

I thought it was a sheepshead, but it was funny. It didn’t feel like a sheep. I caught citation sheeps before, and this beast did not feel like a sheep.

It spooled my reel, so I tighten the drag. It had pretty good pull. In fact, I played it until I was almost 100 yards from the bridge piling from where I hooked the fish. I got it to the surface, and wow, a black drum! It was my biggest black drum ever at 26”. (Last year I caught a couple black drums around 17”)

My catch:
    - Lots of croaker and toads
    - 1 short weakfish
    - 1 keeper flounder (19")
    - 1 keeper black drum (26”)

More to come: Joe and Dave will be telling their stories.

Lynnhaven 8-9-14 Sat

Joe and Dave said to fish CBBT again, but I wanted to check out the puppies and flounder at Lynnhaven.

In short, puppy catching sucked. I didn’t fish very long, so I caught only croakers and black sea bass. I watched many yakers and saw one guy pull up some small fish. I talked to several other yakers, and nobody caught puppies or flounder. Slow day.

I should have gone to CBBT. On the other hand, if I went to CBBT and caught nothing, I would have said I should have gone to Lynnhaven….lol..

CBBT pics below.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Lynnhaven pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice drum! Probably still good too eat that size. Thanks for the report
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I had one 17" flounder and Dave caught 3 nice flounder on Friday and came home. We didn't fish on Saturday.
        I fish hard on Friday. I didn't know how to fish for flounder near bridge columns. Now I know.

I ran out of Gulp swimming mullet because I didn't bring enough. After Dave gave me his Plano container with full of Gulp Swimming Mullet, I caught on flounder at 17".
        Next time I will bring white bucktails and a bunch of Gulp Swimming Mullet. I will be doing what Dave did.

I filleted the 26" black drum before Michael's wedding (Redfish12). The meat looks good. But the meat toward the tail looked very tough. I came home this morning, and I will cook it some time this week.

joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

It was a good trip at the CBBT finally. The tide was perfect timing on the outgoing and I ended up getting a 16" flounder then 23" and finally a 21.5". The 23" ripped the rod off my hand. I thought it was black drum or something. When the tide finally slacked around 4pm, I decided to try for spades. Went to a spot where I thought there should be spades and after about 30 minutes of trying, I finally hooked my first spade but he was a tiny one. Time ran out for me and I had to head back in. I wish I had more time to fish the slack for sheepies and spades.

IMG_6097.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
            It was a good trip at the CBBT finally. The tide was perfect timing on the outgoing and I ended up getting a 16" flounder then 23" and finally a 21.5". The 23" ripped the rod off my hand. I thought it was black drum or something. When the tide finally slacked around 4pm, I decided to try for spades. Went to a spot where I thought there should be spades and after about 30 minutes of trying, I finally hooked my first spade but he was a tiny one. Time ran out for me and I had to head back in. I wish I had more time to fish the slack for sheepies and spades.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12975[/ATTACH]
            It was fun...gotta go again. And that 23 incher looked really good. BTW, what size hook and bait did you caught the spade on?

Comment

Awesome gents! Dave, I see you finally got your flounder this season!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Did you eat the spade? Ive always wondered what they taste like, along with sheepshead.
                Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I let the spade go because he was too small. He was chunky though.

I used the same 2 oz bucktail setup with a 2/0 teaser hook. All the fishes came on the bucktail.

Joe, your video is set to private.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                    I let the spade go because he was too small. He was chunky though.

I used the same 2 oz bucktail setup with a 2/0 teaser hook. All the fishes came on the bucktail.

Joe, your video is set to private.
                    All fish on the bucktail? Even the small spade? That's impressive.

Comment

Joe, what's at 2:54? A porgy?

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                        Joe, what's at 2:54? A porgy?
                        Pig fish. I caught many in the rock plies at HRBT and CBBT. They grunt. I think that's why they are called pig fish

Joe
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

the 26" black drum tasted good

I ate the 26" black drum.
                          It was little difficult to fillet the drum because of the large and thick scale. I kept the meat between head and vent because the meat from vent to tail looked tough. So I had about 2.3-3 lb of fillet.

The fillet look very close to that of red drum. My wife made paella with additional ingredient, shrimp, mussel, calamari. Well, black drum was pretty good.

I still have a half of the fillet. I am planning to to grill it tommow

joe

Comment

All flounders were on the bucktail that is. The spade was on a carolina rig with a 1/8 jighead with Joe's shrimp. I wish I could of worked on the spades a bit longer but the outgoing tide kept going and going and I just ran out of time. I have to see if I can stay longer next time and fish with you warriors.

That peddle back was brutal. The fish and motor drag only allow me to go 2.2 mph. I had to peddle and paddle just to get up to 3.0 but I couldn't keep that up for long.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              Pig fish. I caught many in the rock plies at HRBT and CBBT. They grunt. I think that's why they are called pig fish

Joe
                              Are you sure? It doesn't quite look like this.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X