Old Newbie to Kayak Fishing - MAIDEN LAUNCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Newbie to Kayak Fishing - MAIDEN LAUNCH

After stalking this forum for some time, I decide to purchase a used Jackson Cuda 14 with rudder from Del Paddle sport. After outfitting it with a Visicarbon flag and Lowrance elite 4x DSi. Also equipped my existing Thule aero bar rack with a Hullavator. I launched for the first time yesterday at Gene Roberts Park in HdG. Thought this would be the safest place since I don't have a lot of experience with yak fishing. Anyway I really enjoyed myself and stayed in control for the 3 hours I was on the water. No luck catching. Did not realize that between the west to east winds and water flow made it difficult to stay on course. Then I realized I have a rudder. Water temp was b/t 81-82 degrees. Saw a lot of baitfish on the fish finder. Paddled across the river to Perryville then back to the Rt 40 Island. After drifting and fishing bait and lures, decided to head back. As I was securing all the stuff a huge carp jumped out of the water next to me. The tail hit the yak on the way back in. I swear he was laughing at me. For a 60 year old man, I have to say, I am hooked. Can't wait to get it in the Salt.

FreddieT
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Welcome to the site !

Comment

Welcome to Snaggedline from another 60 year-old kayak fisher.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome, just keep an eye out on here their is always people going fishing with open invitations. Its a real welcoming group of people. I'm new to kayak fishing and the area too and have already learned a lot from people on here.
        Travis
        Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Orange Old Town NEXT
        USN

Comment

Welcome!! Tight Lines & Bents Rods Always!!

Comment

Thanks FL Boy. Can't get out next week, Hoping to get out one more time prior to going to the salt the 2nd week of September for 4 days.
            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome young man! Glad to see some of us 60 plus folks getting into the sport, I am 63 myself and just started this Spring myself. The folks on this site are wonderful and will help with anything you may have questions about.

eyedaddy

Comment

Welcome!
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                  As I was securing all the stuff a huge carp jumped out of the water next to me. The tail hit the yak on the way back in. I swear he was laughing at me.

FreddieT
                  Well that's a new way to get a new yak slimed on your maiden voyage

Welcome aboard!
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, hope to see you one day on the water.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome to the addiction. I am a couple of years away from 60. <man that hurts> I am not new to kayaking, I bought my first kayak in 2002. I am pretty new to the forum too and it really seems to be a great bunch of people who are willing to share information and welcome all on outings.

There is good news, there is a 12 step program for this addiction:
                      1. Buy kayak
                      2. Buy new rods and reels for use on kayak
                      3. Buy new lures to use with new rods, reels and kayak.
                      4. Outfit the kayak so that it is more tricked out than the Space Shuttle
                      5. Buy 2nd kayak, now that you have done this for a little while you know what you really want
                      6. Take vacations where you can use your kayak.
                      7. Buy new rods because your new fishing buddys show the trick stuff they are using.
                      8. Buy more tackle - same reason as No. 7
                      9. Buy new $400 paddle that is ultralight weight
                      10. Buy 3rd kayak so you can fish different type of water
                      11. This requires that you repeat steps 2 and 3 because you need different stuff for different type of fishing
                      12. Buy Alan's book "Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay" I just bought it and it is a good read.

Enjoy, it is great fun and good exercise for us.
                      Viking - Profish Reload Z
                      Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Better late than never, welcome aboard! I've got the Elite 4 HDI on my kayak and really like it. I've got waypoints all over the place now, really helpful to get back over spots that produce.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

As a kayak angler who already passed 60 years, I agree with many of the items in Mattawoman Mike's list. However, since I had already been fishing from a series of boats before getting into kayak fishing, I was able to forego buying the new rods and reels. Also, I am a minimalist and choose not to buy too much more tackle or add an overabundance of gadgets and geegaws to my kayak.

I do have three kayaks that fill different niches items 1, 5, and 10). I am in Cape May, NJ for a few days and brought my latest kayak, a Manta Ray 11 (10'10" long) with me (items 6 and 10). I can slide the Manta Ray 11 into my Honda Odyssey and close the hatch. I did buy a high tech carbon fiber paddle last fall (item 9), but was able to get a discount from a local shop who ordered it for me (that kept the price below $400).

Although getting old has many drawbacks, having the time and financial means to enjoy kayak fishing is one of the benefits.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Live Long, Live Strong is my Practice, Health, Wealth, and Cold Beer is my Motto. Yak Fishing is my new addiction along with my biggest addiction, Surf Fishing. Mixing the 2 will be me goal.
                            Mattawoman Mike, lets see, I got 1,2,3,4, 6 is planned, 8,9 close Werner Shuna Hooked, 11, and 12 is on my reverse bucket list. I am sure 5, 7, 10, will come at some point. Thanks Gang.
                            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

It is all about having fun and enjoying the outdoors.
                              Viking - Profish Reload Z
                              Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Working...
                              X