2015 Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    I'm an antenna troop in the USAF...well, until today. I will be getting a "USAF Retired" pin on my lapel today.
    Congrats bud! Thanks for your work.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Joe and Tufnik both have outbacks and use them regularly at the CBBT. When launching, you keep the mirage drive on the boat and paddle out a little bit until you have the depth to put the mirage drive in. When coming in, just remember pull out the drive before coming in on the sand.

I've been out there with Tufnik in 3-4 ft waves and it handled it out fine.

Comment

Good to know. I just remembered reading that some people had issues with the surf launches in Hobies, but seems like it should be fine to me. My dentist was able repair my tooth for a couple hundred bucks and said I should be good without a crown for a while, so with only a slight hit on my kayak funds I must now decide on waiting for the new outback or go out and get a new kayak this week.

Comment

I can't wait to see which kayak you pick John I've seen you go back and forth with 5 or 6 different boats just this week it seems! I can tell you I've done light surf launches in my revo and it is just like any other kayak. Paddle until you clear the breakers or until you have enough time to drop in your mirage and then you're set. Glad to hear the tooth worked out
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I know...so many nice kayaks to choose from. I really love all the features on the new outback, but it is a lot of money for me and I really do just want something right away. I am in my kayak 20-30 hours a week and I really want something I will enjoy fishing out of more than what I have now. They have a cuda 14 for sale less than 10 minutes from my house and I am so tempted to just get it overwith and buy it today. I guess I can live with my ride a little longer if I can manage to get the seat repaired before the weekend and wait for the outback. I am in the salt most of the time and this delrin stuff sounds really good, plus the seat looks incredible.

Comment

JohnE, have you taken an Outback (or other pedal kayak) for a test ride yet? The Outback really is a fishing machine; can't wait to see the new version.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                JohnE, have you taken an Outback (or other pedal kayak) for a test ride yet? The Outback really is a fishing machine; can't wait to see the new version.
                I have not tried one yet, but I have fished with several guys who have mirage drive kayaks. They have them available to rent down in VA beach. I was going to try one there, but have not gotten around to it yet.

So, I am now back to thinking about ordering the 2015 outback. I am thinking about red or ivory dune. I don't really care that much about color, but I do sort of wish they would come out with some more exciting color options.

Comment

Just ordered one in ivory dune color!

Comment

I have a 2010 Outback and have to say I have beat the hell out of it in some really nasty ocean on more occasions than I care to admit to- it is a tough fishing machine- and the Mirage Drive is really a durable system- I have only bent the turbo fin masts twice (ran into under water obstructions) and other than carefully straightening them back into their original shape- no other issues whatsoever with my boat- I would highly recommend the optional sailing rudder (first thing I did to mine when I got it in 2011)- my boat already had the turbo fins on it when I bought it from an Army helicopter pilot deploying to Afghanistan...been a great boat- and I would recommend an Outback to my friends...welcome to the dark side...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                      ...I do sort of wish they would come out with some more exciting color options.
                      I wish they had them in bright lime green.

Congrats on the new Outback!!! You're going to love freeing up your hands to concentrate on fishing!
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

• I probably could have gone for lime green also. I have that color on my BB pro paddle.

Glad I finally got it over with, and now for the long wait. Sounds like they may jack up the price another 2 or 3 hundred on it next year to make up for the anticipated loss in revenue on the pa12. I really see no advantage in owning one of those over the new outback and actually a few disadvantages for myself.

Comment

• Dang, I hope they don't do that...guess I'll have to put a down payment on one soon so I can get the current price locked in.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

• Picked the Outback over the Revo three years ago. No regrets, great yak. I put a deposit on a 2015 model (yellow) too. So, will be selling my 2011 Outback as soon as I receive shipment in late Sept. Can't wait.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

• The specs on the new lineup have been placed on their web page...

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

• Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                                The specs on the new lineup have been placed on their web page...
                                The Adventure is now called Revolution 16, that's interesting.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X