2015 Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
    You guys with the oubacks already...any of you know about how fast you average peddling one, top speed you have seen and stuff like that. I was looking around a little bit and I'm seeing that they may not really much faster than what I have now. I can average 3 mph paddling my ride 135 pretty hard and up close to 4 in bursts of full out paddling. My tarpon 140 is substantially faster. I don't think the outback will really be much faster than my tarpon, but more stable and less fatiguing. Just curious to see what other are experiencing in order to keep it on my list before I preorder one of these new kayaks coming out.
    It's pretty easy for me to peddle at 3 knots, which is way too fast for trolling IMHO. If I want to sprint, 4 knots isn't too much of a push on the bay...I've gotten to a little over 5 knots on flat non tidal water. Pushing hard in the end is kind of pointless, when you get to where you're going; you're just going to be tired upon arrival. I'd rather troll from launch to landing, then I'm fishing the whole time.

If FY-15 budget allows, we will be adding another Outback to the Cowfleet next spring. There will be a Change of Command for the current flagship, and Cowkid2 will take over the bridge.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
      I average 4 mph in my Tarpon 120 at an easy paddling pace. I can break 5 mph in bursts, but rarely have a need to. I don't want to pedal because I tore my knees up in the Marines and don't want to put anymore stress on them than necessary!
      Does slowly walking up stairs bother your knees? If it doesn't, peddling a Hobie won't bother them either.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Does slowly walking up stairs bother your knees? If it doesn't, peddling a Hobie won't bother them either.
        Your right, but I have to go up and down stairs... I don't have to pedal my kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
          It's about the same really. But if you are fishing the CBBT, the hobies have an advantage because you can hold the current better vs paddling. When it's roaring, then forget it but during slow current, you can peddle and hold against the pilings and fish still.
          I use a piling hugger to fish pilings in current, hands free would be nice at times though. One handed paddling gets a little annoying after a while when there the current is not right for piling hugger.

My knee is bad also and had surgery on it not that long ago. But I think peddling would be easier on me since I also have chronic back pain and a reconstucted shoulder. Plus peddling will help me get my legs in shape for snowboarding season, since I cant seem to get out on my bicycles when I spend the majority of my free time/weekends paddling.

Comment

Should hook up my brand-new Hobie outback 2014?? Or sell and buy a new 2015 model?? It's so tempting but I love my new yak!!??....

Comment

With this new model out it'll definitely lose value the longer I wait

Comment

Originally posted by KDT88 View Post
                Should hook up my brand-new Hobie outback 2014?? Or sell and buy a new 2015 model?? It's so tempting but I love my new yak!!??....
                Unless you "must" have the new seat, stick with your 2014. The changes/updates they made to the drive are interesting; I don't know if a 10% efficiency boost is enough that I'd even be able to tell the difference. I'm trying to figure out why they didn't go with the turbo fins on all models, or at least offer it as an option.

I want to see one of the new ones in person before even thinking about buying one.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah think I'll wait till they come out look at all the reviews online and go test drive one myself before I make my decision

Comment

I'd be concerned with the new drive with plastic roller bearings.
                    Some salt or sand in there may wear them out pretty quick.
                    But only time will tell.
                    2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

That's what I was thinking CAGE RATTLER

Comment

So I've decided that I will keep my 2014 Hobie outback. I'll hook it up to its full potential and love it for years. Then I will assess my situation and make a move on a new one if needed. The 2014 model is more than enough to catch all the fish that I need and have a lot of fun while I'm doing it!!

Comment

I'm keeping my 2014 Outback, but planning on an additional Hobie...my daughter "needs" her own boat, lol.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Has anybody been able to order the new outback yet? After fishing with Joe last week and seeing that he could pretty much run circles around me in his outback just pedaling at an easy pace, I almost went and bought a 2014 since they are already discounting them...but I want to be able to stand. Looks like the 2015 is just about perfect for me now that they added a place to stand.

I just want one kayak for everything at this point and I have narrowed it down to the new outback or slayer propel at this point. New outback would be the one if I could run out and buy one today.

Comment

Call Backyard boats in Woodbridge and they should be able to tell you when they can get it.

If you are going to get a Hobie, then wait for the 2015. It's worth it with the seat and place to stand.

Comment

I have ordered two. A 2015 revo and an OB. The order went out about two weeks ago. From my understanding the first round of production has already been accounted for. Idk if that is only for dealers demos and team members or if they will have a few available for retail. If you want one, I suggest you let your dealer know ASAP so you can have one ready. If you're serious, send me a PM and I can ask my dealer (survival products in salisbury md) if he is able to reserve you one in the initial order which is due in by late sept/early oct.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X