X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
    Very cool....An outback with nerf bars.
    Now it truly is the SUV of kayaks

I'm assuming you have to leave some of the joints unglued since the rod holder holes are at different angles?
    2 of the joints have to be secured with pins for easy removal. Tried it out yesterday and it actually works pretty well. Only issue so far is paddling, but it is really not that bad with my 240 paddle. I wish I had a tig welder so I could get the rail just 1" or so closer inboard. Still brainstorming on some way to accomplish that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnE View Post
      2 of the joints have to be secured with pins for easy removal. Tried it out yesterday and it actually works pretty well. Only issue so far is paddling, but it is really not that bad with my 240 paddle. I wish I had a tig welder so I could get the rail just 1" or so closer inboard. Still brainstorming on some way to accomplish that.
      Looks like you have 45's coming out of the rod holders then the 90's. Wouldn't just deleting the 45's bring you in closer?
      2013 PRO ANGLER 12
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

• Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
        Looks like you have 45's coming out of the rod holders then the 90's. Wouldn't just deleting the 45's bring you in closer?
        It's not that simple, the molded in rod holders are angled, need two PVC angles at each end so they point at each other. Here's an example of what I'm typing about...it's the same going front to back as side to side.

Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

• Yeah, I wish it was that simple. Here are the front powerlocks:
          20141004_101032-655768981.jpg

Comment

• 2015 Hobie Outback

Just got mine!
            Last edited by Redfish12; 10-04-2014, 01:41 PM.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

• Mike,
              Two!?!? The other one for Sam?
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

• No that's Grilled's twin

Sent via mobile
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  It's not that simple, the molded in rod holders are angled, need two PVC angles at each end so they point at each other. Here's an example of what I'm typing about...it's the same going front to back as side to side.

Ok I see. You need the 2 joints to create the proper angles.
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

• Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    No that's Grilled's twin

Sent via mobile
                    Whoa, somehow I see the the Revo losing its followers. What's going on!?!?

Comment

• Got mine today !!!

IMG_6746.jpg8
                      Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                      WS Ride 115 Mango
                      WS Tarpon 100

Comment

• Originally posted by KenY View Post
                        Got mine today !!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13626[/ATTACH]8
                        Unlike last time, now you can fish the currents at CBBT.

Comment

• Trying to get my Outback ready for this weekend. That seat is something else. Very adjustable, but with all that complexity, I wonder about durability and reliability. The back cargo area is narrower than my 2011 Outback, so I had to re-adjust my crate rails. My rod extension now won't position correctly on the yak's rear rod position. The foam in the center hatch hole limits my storage space. There's more space for standing, but now the trays are narrower. Oh well,...still anxious to get it out.

Hey, does your yak have the seat drainer? The manual shows it, but my yak doesn't have it. I guess it's on the other yak (the CT). Manual doesn't talk about the four stilts attached under the seat, but I guess you just insert them for higher seat position. The CD says you can store the yak on its side. The manual says it's a no-no.
                          Last edited by tufnik; 10-05-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            Unlike last time, now you can fish the currents at CBBT.
                            Yeah.....that day really sucked. It did open my eyes. It proved to me that Hobies are the way to go.
                            Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                            WS Ride 115 Mango
                            WS Tarpon 100

Comment

• Took it out to Occoquan, Cbbt twice, Lynnhaven, and Hrbt so far. Windy conditions, pretty choppy at times, and super heavy current at cbbt Saturday. Really liking it so far.

Tried several positions on seat. It is super comfortable, and the outback feels really stable even in high positions (although I opted for mid to low out at cbbt at most times). I had it out at hrbt in pretty heavy chop this morning in highest position the whole time. One thing folks need to watch with the seat is the clip that holds the cord tying the seat back and bottom together needs to have some type of padding. My seat bottom is already torn where the bottom clips rubs when it is closed up for transport. Better stick a towel or something in the seat when transporting it closed until they come up with a fix for this design flaw...waiting on a response from Hobie on that. Oh, and watch that clip on the back...it is a little hard getting used to putting it on the bar and not much holding it if you turtle if you forget to lock the tether clip.

This thing is faster than I expected. My buddy came out with a 2011 or 2012 revo to cbbt on Friday. We put them to the speed test and the new outback is actually a little faster. Plus I outweigh him by about 50 pounds and was carrying more gear. So, I would say the new outback is actually substantially faster than the older revo.

The mirage drive is pretty smooth, but I started getting a clicking noise when the pedals are fully extended. I adjusted cable tension and the noise went away, but I can still feel the click and could not make it go away in my attempts so far at adjusting tension. If I don't fully extend the pedals, it is not an issue. But I was out in some really tough conditions and pedaling very hard at times and was hard to avoid fully extending them some of the time. Not sure what the deal is with that.

Overall, loving it but a couple small issues so far. Did not try standing yet due to the windy conditions. Got it properly slimed also:
                              DSCN1383.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                                Got it properly slimed also:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]13636[/ATTACH]
                                Dude, that's my stringer!!! Good job on the flounder, congrats on the new kayak.

Edit: Never mind, my stringer is hanging up in the garage. LOL
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X