2015 Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
    johne do u think the outback is faster then the PA??

ive blown a few outbacks away in my pa12.
    With the new drive and turbo fins I doubt it is that much slower. But I can't deal with the size of the PA anyway...needing a trailer to haul a yak around is not for me. I will gladly deal with a little hull slap for all the advantages the outback will have for my needs.

Comment

i was just asking.

no biggie
      the outback looks cool

i have a small bed pick up i toss my pa into.. \

but the outback is deff a cool option for all around
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

i was just asking.

no biggie
        the outback looks cool

i have a small bed pick up i toss my pa into.. \

but the outback is deff a cool option for all around
        Yeah man. I don't know...maybe come down to VA beach area sometime and I will see if can keep up when I get the outback. Bed of the truck is not bad for that one, but I have to lift all the way to a ladder rack since I keep a toolbox on my truck and usually other stuff in the bed that might slide out. It is mainly the weight of the PA for me with a bad back. And the outback is a lot less money also. It is already way more than I want to spend on a kayak.

Comment

ive looked at trading down the PA.. but i just cant find anything else thats going to allow me to fish the way i want to fish.

im only 26 so right now the PA is fine for me.

The outback deff looks cool, and is a good option for ALOT of people. even the Slayer propel is a great option ive look at that non stop.

i just cant pull the trigger to get rid of the PA..
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

ive looked at trading down the PA.. but i just cant find anything else thats going to allow me to fish the way i want to fish.

im only 26 so right now the PA is fine for me.

The outback deff looks cool, and is a good option for ALOT of people. even the Slayer propel is a great option ive look at that non stop.

i just cant pull the trigger to get rid of the PA..
            I'm also sort of still thinking about the Slayer. Main advantages I see are reverse, it can actually pretty much be paddled like a regular kayak when fishing flats and other areas where you would run into problems with the drive, a little on the heavy side but not too heavy from the specs I have seen...but propelller is supposed to be pain to clear grass and stuff out of and still pretty heavy, and the can be loud for stalking fish on the flats anyway.

Here is an interesting video I found with three guys racing the outback, slayer, and PA 12. Outback is shown to be the fastest by a bit, then the propel in 2nd. PA 12 came in last.
            Last edited by JohnE; 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Have you tried to pick up an outback? They aren't that light either. And with the hull changes, they might be even heavier now.
              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                Have you tried to pick up an outback? They aren't that light either. And with the hull changes, they might be even heavier now.
                I have. Not much worse than ride 135 which I find relatively easy to throw up on my ladder rack. PA and slayer are just a little heavy for that. I think I am going to rent an outback this weekend to fish cbbt, can't use my tarpon and my ride just wears me out paddling all day out there. Man, I wish the new outback was available to pick up already.
                Last edited by JohnE; 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I see 2 outback for sale on craigslist already. Let the sell off begin!!

Comment

Yeah, I already tried contacting one of them. I was willing to take it off his hands to try until I can get the new one. But it is 5 years old and his price is just not very realistic for me and I think my offer was actually rather high for what it is. I almost picked up a revo about that old a month back for $650.

Comment

Well, this is sort of interesting...doing more research on hobies and apparently the fins look just like seal flippers and may attract sharks. I hate sharks and never thought about this before. Apparently, people have reported sharks chasing them while fishing with people in other kayaks and the sharks only went for the hobies. The guy who had his legs chewed off in Hawaii recently was in a hobie.

And here is a video I found of a shark attack on guys in hobies

Comment

[OT]
                        One of my pet peeves is when someone uses a video camera to record a television program. Even if you don't have a DVR it would look and sound so much better if they recorded it with a VCR and then converted that to digital.
                        [/OT]

That said, in regards to the video I think if the Mirage Drive attracted sharks there would be more reports than just one video from 2008.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

johne do u think the outback is faster then the PA??

ive blown a few outbacks away in my pa12.
                          I've owned both and spent many hours in each. I can say the Outback is slightly faster, but not by much. All things being equal (i.e.-on a flat calm pond with no wind or current), the difference is so small it would likely go unnoticed. The thing that impacts your speed in the PA is your higher profile and the overall greater profile of the yak itself. Wind and current will impact the PA more than the Outback and in my experience makes it a little slower.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Is that with turbo fins on the outback?
                            John D.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                            GO RAVENS!!!
                            GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                              [OT]
                              One of my pet peeves is when someone uses a video camera to record a television program. Even if you don't have a DVR it would look and sound so much better if they recorded it with a VCR and then converted that to digital.
                              [/OT]

That said, in regards to the video I think if the Mirage Drive attracted sharks there would be more reports than just one video from 2008.
                              http://m.kayakfishmag.com/news/kayak...ark-in-hawaii/
                              http://www.yakangler.com/spotlight/i...at-white-shark
                              It looks like paddle kayaks are just as likely to be attacked by sharks from the reports I looked at, but here are a couple more on hobies so far that I have found.

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                                Is that with turbo fins on the outback?
                                Yes.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X