Terrapin Park 7/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrapin Park 7/29

Finally landed our first striper from the yak and we've been trying for months. Fishingboy and I went out around 11am and caught small perch and spot. It was slow going and I even lost my first pole. It was my only light weight rod, it fell off that yak at some point.

On out last drift around 5:30pm (sometimes we go hard) we saw a large fish follow the barely alive perch to the boat. Could it be a striper???? We let the line back out... And then it was fish on.. and fishingboy reeled it in.

We marked our location, pilling 62, and drift fished for more bait. No way we were going to go home now! We caught 1 perch and 3 spot and went back to piling 58. When we reached 62 we were on the bite again.

My small perch was doing the trick and my adrenaline was pumping!!! It went something like this.."FISH ON!"... "oh wait no fish off"... "ON OH it's ON".....oh I guess I lost it... NO NOPE DEFINITELY ON, and my reel went screaming and the line kept going out.. My excitement superseded rational thought and I made a rookie mistake, I overturned my drag by a lot and SNAP.... Yeah, I'm still upset.

Fishingboy didn't hook his but lost his spot. We were using circle hooks through the back.

Anyway here are some pics from the day.
    We will be trying again on Tuesday.

Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-45-18.jpg yak.jpg fishingboy.jpg

Congrats on the first of many to come. How was the beach landing on the way back?

Mobile
    Last edited by Goody; 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Good job.
      Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Nice catch.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Sorry to hear about the lost rod. I've been there.
        Glad to hear the day turned around a bit for you guys.
        Mike

Comment

Nice going! Congrats on the first yak striper.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            Congrats on the first of many to come. How was the beach landing on the way back?

Mobile
            Thank You..It was fine. Not to crowded or anything. We do have to drag the yak across the sand because our wheels don't work.

Comment

First of many, Ole Linesides can peg the excitement meter.
              Viking - Profish Reload Z
              Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Working...
              X