Fleas Soaking in Chincoteague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleas Soaking in Chincoteague

I've been spending too much time trying for sheepshead this summer with little to show for it. I'm going out about twice a week since June just targeting sheepshead - not letting other fish distract me while I'm out there. Most of my focus has been in the OC Inlet, but I've been trying the Chincoteague area too since I work down there. In late spring/early summer it wasn't too bad because at least in the OC Inlet tog were keeping me busy, but as July started, the tog bite has really shut off with just an occasional fish here and there. Lately, it's been toads, toads, small croaker, black wills, more toads, or just nothing for long stretches - especially around Chincoteague. Too make it worse I keep seeing local reports of sheepshead being caught every week by anglers that half the time aren't even targeting them. Frustrating...

So, last night I'm in Chincoteague endlessly moving from piling to piling and dropping fleas to the machine gun bite of croakers. I'd been out for 3 hours without a decent bite and I was starting to think to myself how this is getting old, but when (if) I finally do get another sheepie it's going to be that much sweeter, when all of a sudden my line goes slack. I was fishing in about 30 ft of water at the time and I thought to my self what the heck is going on here? I quick crank up the slack, set the hook, and the rod doubles over and I'm in a good fight trying to keep the fish from wrapping me. I'm also pumped at this point because I imagine the only thing this fish can be - hopefully, that is - is a decent sheepshead.

Then I see the big unexpected rubbery lipped smile of a bulky male tog coming up and I can tell this isn't the size tog I'm used to catching. When it hits the surface I can see this is the biggest tog I've ever caught and desperately want to just land it so I can see the whole thing. I finally get it in my lab and it goes 22" crushing my personal best of 19"! Needless to say I was thrilled. It was also the first tog I've caught around Chincoteague and it was released to hopefully be caught again later this year!

The quest for Mr. Sheepshead continues on but at least, for this day, I finally was rewarded with a good fish.
    P1030823.jpgP1030825.jpg
    ....just wish I had gotten better quality pictures
    Brian

Very nice!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

A beast!!
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Beat indeed! It's been a tough crazy year.... Congrats on the catch and I pray you'll still be rewarded with a sheepie!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good job and thanks for the report. Been a tough year indeed for me as well. Most trips I have only been catching undersized fish with all the croakers and toads. Not very many keepers, but it seems like things are starting to pick up, even got a surprise keeper speck in Lynnhaven last week.

Comment

I am visiting a friend in Chincoteague this weekend but the yak is staying home. I have never been down there but have fish OC a bunch in college. I am assuming it is similar. I was gonna bring a few surf and pier rods, assorted terminal tackle, a few casting spoons and of course a tub of gulp. Do you have any suggestions for me other than of course hitting the tackle shop when I get there. Heard they have a fishing pier where the old bridge was and the surf is obvious, but I would love some insight. THX

Comment

Yeah, I haven't checked it out but the old bridge is supposed to be a fishing pier now. might be worth dropping straight down next to the pilings You can also fish along the Robert Reed park next to the old bridge pier and Memorial Park is fishable from the shore too. You can also park along the causeway and fish under the bridges (no fishing allowed from up top the bridge though). Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of shore based public access points for fishing the backwaters in town.

From the beach... they just took down some of the bird closures on the Refuge so you should be able to find some more room for surf fishing if you head down towards the coast guard station. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try the Tom's Cove side of the beach too - think red drum soon!

Cpt. Steve's are good people and will hook you up.
              Brian

Comment

nice report & congrats on your best tog!! kudos on the release!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, and i second the release kudos.

Comment

Keep trying, Bob. The sheep will come!
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

nice white chinner! I would've released that right into a pot of oil Good luck with the sheepie hunt
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                      X