Lynnhaven 8/2-8/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnhaven 8/2-8/4

Hit Lynnhaven this weekend. Forecast did not look good, but it was really a pretty nice weekend and only had to put on rain gear for a while Sat afternoon. Sat afternoon/evening I caught a half dozen dink flounder, a 16" blue, and 12" speck.

I almost gave up on Sunday with a skunk, but I ended up having some luck under a dock a ways back in the inlet. Got into some reds and 15" flounder over there. The reds were very fiesty and kept running back around the dock pilings, dragging me into the dock and braking off my 30 pound fluoro leader. I got into a fight with a fat over slot red and actually snapped my little berkley lightning rod I brought with me. On my way back in for dinner and paddling my tarpon at top speed, I actually caught a healthy 16" speck trolling a slow sinking hard bait.

Decided to go back again Monday and ended up leaving with a skunk. Just could not get them to bite anything I was throwing. Stirred up several smallish pups in some really skinny water way back in the inlet early afternoon and tried throwing various things at them with no luck. Went back to my dock that produced Sunday and broke one pup off on a piling again. Went over to the opposite side from that dock and ran into a huge school roaming under a set of docks. Many appeared to be over slot. Saw several groups of 2-4 swimming right up to my yak with fins up and bunch of other singles. Must have been 30 or 40 of them swimming all around me and I tried throwing just about everything I had at them while the insects were swarming all around me. Paddling back over the flats at low tide on my way back I even ran over a pup with my yak.

First 2 or 3 hours of outgoing seems to be best bet for getting them to bite, but there is tons and tons of bait so it can be pretty difficult. Can't wait to get back over there soon.

DSCN1279.jpgDSCN1287.jpgDSCN1294.jpgDSCN1298.jpg
    Last edited by JohnE; 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the report. Just what I need, I'm otw to VA beach

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
      Thanks for the report. Just what I need, I'm otw to VA beach
      Good luck. Let me know how you do.

Also, I just saw a report of sheepshead being caught at rudee this weekend on fiddlers if you want to try to get into some of them without going out to cbbt.

Comment

Working...
      X