Kodiak Jig is for the Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak Jig is for the Birds

I took the afternoon off and drove to Beverly Triton from central PA. Launched at 3:30 and fished until 6:30. Lots of chocolate water and crab pots and just one very small fish. On the way in I thought I might stop at the local tackle shop and pick up one of those Kodiak Jigs that was mentioned. I loved the look of it and thought for sure it would be the rockfish magnet I was dreaming. I'm a paddler, so I was trolling quite slow at between 2 and 3 mph. I figured that at that pace, the 1 oz Kodiak would be skimming the bottom. I was in the mouth of the south river when birds started dive bombing right behind me, but eventually stopped. I was out near the submerged wreck posting when I heard a big splash and the drag went crazy. I turn around and there goes a huge bird with my line. It's funny how I couldn't quite think straight at that point. I mean, what do you do when a bird is about to spool you? Fortunately, the jig eventually fell free from the bird and all was well with both of us.

It was a wonderful late afternoon on the water, but I sure wish I could have heard that drag with a different species on the end of the line. I had planned to fish all day tomorrow somewhere in the area, but I'm not sure what to do now. I'd be happy for advice.
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Good story. Sorry it was not your target species. If you ever hook or wing-wrap a bird again, wind it in and put a towel or other cloth over its head. That calms the bird down somewhat so you can unhook it. I've never gotten a bird from the kayak, but have had quite a few from my boats.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
      I took the afternoon off and drove to Beverly Triton from central PA. Launched at 3:30 and fished until 6:30. Lots of chocolate water and crab pots and just one very small fish. On the way in I thought I might stop at the local tackle shop and pick up one of those Kodiak Jigs that was mentioned. I loved the look of it and thought for sure it would be the rockfish magnet I was dreaming. I'm a paddler, so I was trolling quite slow at between 2 and 3 mph. I figured that at that pace, the 1 oz Kodiak would be skimming the bottom. I was in the mouth of the south river when birds started dive bombing right behind me, but eventually stopped. I was out near the submerged wreck posting when I heard a big splash and the drag went crazy. I turn around and there goes a huge bird with my line. It's funny how I couldn't quite think straight at that point. I mean, what do you do when a bird is about to spool you? Fortunately, the jig eventually fell free from the bird and all was well with both of us.

It was a wonderful late afternoon on the water, but I sure wish I could have heard that drag with a different species on the end of the line. I had planned to fish all day tomorrow somewhere in the area, but I'm not sure what to do now. I'd be happy for advice.
      I've always worried that would happen. I came across a bunch of dolphins last summer and quickly reeled everything in to prevent hooking one.

I wasn't too far from you today (5 miles south) and only caught a 14" and a 20". Conditions were perfect and I was shocked I didn't do better. My friend got skunked.
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
      X