No announcement yet.

Torqeedo 403 Ultra Light Conversion???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torqeedo 403 Ultra Light Conversion???

Hi Gang,

I have a torqeedo 403 ultra light I used on a Cuda 14 kayak. Now that I have an Outback, I was looking into ways to convert it to a Hobie Evolve V2 configuration to be used on the Outback.

Has anyone ever tried this? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Are you looking to mount on the rudder or in the well?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Mount it on the back ........ It gives you a lot more options

Comment

Shady, I was thinking about mounting in the well, but Memory Maker stated to mount it on the back. I wanted to keep the rudder operational, and the offset of mounting on the back gives concerns of balance.
        Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Alan ...... YakFish has his mounted on the back of his Outback ....... I think Jeff Little does too and they are on the Torqeedo Pro Team. The advantage is that you can use the mirage drive and the Torqeedo in any combination you want to get you there and back and even silently troll etc for almost any situation.

Comment

Thanks MM,
            Since I have all the hardware for a rear mount, I need to do some dry fitting to assure there is no interference with the sail rudder. Now all I need is some decent weekend weather to do this.
            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I had mine mounted on the rudder. I think either that or the off rudder rear mounting is the way to go.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Shady ........ You are right. Except the Torqeedo does not have a rudder mount, Hobie does, and you can't use the rudder without the Torqeedo adding drag if you just want to use the Mirage Drive. Mounting it on the back allows you to use the Torqeedo and the Mirage Drive, just the Mirage drive buy pulling up the engine so there is no drag, or just the engine. That's why a bunch of guys are mounting them on the back.

I saw your set up and I REALLY liked it. Then I saw some guys mounting it on the back and that's how they explained it to me. Just sayin

Comment

Yea, I've been without the motor since September and honestly dont miss it much...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Hey MM and Shady, thanks for the advice.

MM, every time I visit my son and grandkids on Woodpark Court I see a home on the main drag with couple yaks under cover on trailer, Is that you?
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      Yea, I've been without the motor since September and honestly dont miss it much...
                      ...wait until the 15-20 mile days during spring season :-)
                      Like the others have said, I prefer boom mounted off the back of the kayak. It keeps full function of the rudder and of the mirage drive. But to each their own. I personally really want usage of the mirage drive at all times, not switching in and out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                        Hey MM and Shady, thanks for the advice.

MM, every time I visit my son and grandkids on Woodpark Court I see a home on the main drag with couple yaks under cover on trailer, Is that you?
                        Yep ......... That's me

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          ...wait until the 15-20 mile days during spring season :-)
                          Like the others have said, I prefer boom mounted off the back of the kayak. It keeps full function of the rudder and of the mirage drive. But to each their own. I personally really want usage of the mirage drive at all times, not switching in and out.
                          I run half marathons bro, I'm game
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                            I run half marathons bro, I'm game
                            Hell, with my knees I cant even walk 13.1 miles, thus the Torqeedo.
                            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Update to Thread,
                              I did some dry fitting and measurements prior to drilling holes. It seems that with a sail rudder there is not enough room on the torqeedo extension bar for clearance between the rudder and motorhead. So for the time being or until I either by a paddle yak and or change the sail rudder to a stand rudder, my yak will not be powered by Torqeedo.
                              Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X