Question about the salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the salt

I've fished all my life...mostly cat (and relatively new to kayaks), but I really want to learn the salt side of fishing. What are the best methods? I know I can scour the web and youtube, but I also know there's nothing like "doing". I want to get out at some meet and greets this year, and I figured that's one of the best ways. However, before I launch, what about my tackle...rods/reel? What are some newb things I should know about that before I hit the water to better prepare me for actually catching something? :-)
    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Here ya go! Besides my father this is what got me started surf fishing and sharking.
    http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/surf-fishing/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks!
      Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Anthony,

My fishing background prior to kayak angling was freshwater. I waded rivers and fished less frequently from boats in reservoirs. One of the things that intrigued me about kayak fishing is that I could use the same tackle, often the same lures and flies and essentially the same techniques (targeting structure and using currents to my advantage) for tidal fish as I did for freshwater fish.

Now if you’re talking ocean fishing and/or surf fishing, I have not done either other than few offshore charter trips that I really did not enjoy. But from brackish creeks here in the Mid-Bay region to saltier waters at the mouth of the Chesapeake, to the flats in Tampa I find fishing fresh and salt waters remarkably similar. The skills and techniques required transfer nicely from one kind of water to the next.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Anthony- I take it you are kayak fishing- on the Salt side- medium spinning outfit with 12# braid- two feet of 20# monofilament leader- 1/4 oz. jighead with 3 inch Gulp mullet in white- cast or troll with medium retrieve just off the bottom- you will catch many different species- striped bass, croakers, speckled trout, redfish and white perch...my tackle is all high dollar, premium stuff, but you don't have to have it to be successful- a Penn Battle 3000 reel and a 7' Ugly Stick Lite medium action spinning rod will get the job done just fine...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

To help you better, what type of saltwater fishing are you talking about Boat, Shore, Kayak? Each one can have a different method of fishing, different equipment, different lines/weight and leaders.
            Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Mark, good info. I guess it's my ignorance in this area, but when I said "salt", I meant anything from the bay to off the coast of the Atlantic. I've been out on a few charters when I lived down in Tampa, so that is the extent of my experience in salt water.

ronaultmtd, definitely helpful. Hearing from the few folks on here, I think a lot of what I have will be usable, but I still need to get some things.

Oldbayrunner, I'm talking about getting out there in my kayak. I'd want to get after some rocks this spring, and maybe a trip or two out to the coast.
              Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Besides the Meet and Greets and asking questions, there are several authors that have some great books, YakFish, John Viel, and Mark .......... Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  Besides the Meet and Greets and asking questions, there are several authors that have some great books, YakFish, John Viel, and Mark .......... Hope I didn't miss anyone.
                  Thank you very much!
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
                    Mark, good info. I guess it's my ignorance in this area, but when I said "salt", I meant anything from the bay to off the coast of the Atlantic. I've been out on a few charters when I lived down in Tampa, so that is the extent of my experience in salt water.

ronaultmtd, definitely helpful. Hearing from the few folks on here, I think a lot of what I have will be usable, but I still need to get some things.

Oldbayrunner, I'm talking about getting out there in my kayak. I'd want to get after some rocks this spring, and maybe a trip or two out to the coast.
                    Take the advice on the paddle tails for the upcoming spring if you want some rock. They are cheap and work. 1/4 to 3/4 oz jigheads and you are set. Any medium sized rod that can handle bass will do. No need to spend any money hardly at all. Get to the meet and greets and you will learn quickly many other techniques and strategies but still will find that the the ubiquitous paddle tail is many times the most productive lure.

Comment

Working...
                    X