Beautiful Breton Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Breton Bay

Hooked up with Yak67 this morning at 5:30 to catch the tail end of a falling tide and the morning bite. Things started slow and no bites in the first half hour. Got to a favorite bar and had some good pulls but two got off. Next fish was a 24" that hauled me around. No pic as he was exhausted so released as soon as I could. Precursor of a great morning.

I ended up with a 22", 21" 20" and multiple high teens besides my big one. Gary had similar quality with a 23" big.

Wind started to pick up and tide was ebbing so we headed to a cove to try for perch. I put on a 1" crank bait and immediately had a medium sized striper. Next fish was also big, I thought 20"+ striper. Instead I caught this 17" surprise, yes the drum are here.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/daa97731332e9dd00a1ee3aa2e8227bf.jpg[/IMG

Off the water by 9 with huge smiles on our faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    Hooked up with Yak67 this morning at 5:30 to catch the tail end of a falling tide and the morning bite. Things started slow and no bites in the first half hour. Got to a favorite bar and had some good pulls but two got off. Next fish was a 24" that hauled me around. No pic as he was exhausted so released as soon as I could. Precursor of a great morning.

I ended up with a 22", 21" 20" and multiple high teens besides my big one. Gary had similar quality with a 23" big.

Wind started to pick up and tide was ebbing so we headed to a cove to try for perch. I put on a 1" crank bait and immediately had a medium sized striper. Next fish was also big, I thought 20"+ striper. Instead I caught this 17" surprise, yes the drum are here.

Off the water by 9 with huge smiles on our faces.

Because I'm technology challenged with Tapatalk had to reply to my own post to add drum pic.

Last edited by Big Mike; 05-10-2017, 10:34 AM.
    Mike

Comment

That's nuts that you're already catching almost legal red drum, and it's only May. Based on the rockfish in the lower 20s that I've caught already, plus the ones that you guys are catching down south, I'm thinking it'll be another good kayak fishing year.

Comment

Nice report! Did yak67 sell his LE Outback and go back to a (newer) PA?
        Tight lines
        Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
        Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
        Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
        Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

You are the only person I know who consistently pulls quality fish from Breton Bay!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice work Mike and Gary.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thats a good looking Camo PA, and can't complain about reds this early in the year!

Where do you guys launch from? Public/Private? Thx,
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

That's a very good outing. I could use one of those!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                  Thats a good looking Camo PA, and can't complain about reds this early in the year!

Where do you guys launch from? Public/Private? Thx,
                  We launch from Abell's Wharf - it a free public launch about a third of the way down the bay from Leonardtown. It's got parking for 10 or so trucks with trailers and another 10 spots for cars, plus some road overflow potential. There's another public launch in Medley's Neck State Park but I've never used it. Early in the year this launch gets quite busy on the weekends so we always get there at the crack of dawn. After June it slows down quite a bit as folks think the big ones have left the area but we always seem to scrounge up a few nice ones on most outings.
                  Mike

Comment

Great work Mike and Gary. Breton Bay really looks interesting. Is the fishing good there all year?
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Breton has a fairly consistent bite but mid summer we generally go for perch as size of stripers goes down. We like it because it can be a go to place when wind makes other spots tough. It's generally my second or third option if other spots are fishable.

The thing Gary likes most about all of the St Marys ramps is our spotless port-a-john's. They clean them every other day. Apparently AA cleans there's every other year.
                      Mike

Comment

Good to get the "Band" back together Mike and I fish together on a regular basis, "Life" has kept us apart for the past month or so. The weather was great, location great, the fishing was great. Brand new spanking clean Porto-john in the lot!
                        Hey man over 50's, this matters a lot

I did sell my 2015 Hobie PA-14 (Yellow) replaced it with the 2017 PA-12 Camo-Reverse. I take the 2016 Hobie Outback out every other trip or so. Love them both.

Yak67

Comment

Breton has a fairly consistent bite but mid summer we generally go for perch as size of stripers goes down. We like it because it can be a go to place when wind makes other spots tough. It's generally my second or third option if other spots are fishable.

The thing Gary likes most about all of the St Marys ramps is our spotless port-a-john's. They clean them every other day. Apparently AA cleans there's every other year.
                          Will keep that in mind

John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Now that's funny!
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice catch.... I hope to see you guys on the water au futur!

Comment

Working...
                              X