DIY fish cooler/bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY fish cooler/bag

Has anyone ever tried to make a cooler/bag for their fish out of this??
    IMG_20170612_140643089.jpg

It comes in several sizes. Just some Gorilla tape and some Velcro for the opening. Just asking.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to make a cooler/bag for their fish out of this??
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21715[/ATTACH]

It comes in several sizes. Just some Gorilla tape and some Velcro for the opening. Just asking.
    I went to the dollar store and bought a cooler bag that seems to be made out of similar material. I have a three step system for minimizing fish slime cleaning:
    1. Fish gets put on a stringer when on water
    2. When done fishing, put fish in the dollar cooler bag
    3. Put the cooler bag in the main cooler that is in the car

197260.jpg
    Last edited by Seasalt; 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Steve, I swear you live a 'the Depot'

Between your DIY in the truck and Seasalt DIY on his outback, my next trip to The Depot is going to get expensive!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I've used it for other things. The key to it is that it is a rather poor insulator by itself, but excels at reflecting radiant heat, like the sun. So it might not keep your ice from melting, but it should certainly keep the sun from heating up the fish inside. If you make one let me know how it works, I have plenty left over and have been looking for something to keep fish cool after I move from the perch/spot area to the striper area.

Comment

https://youtu.be/rONpSX16Viw
          Similar stuff. I've never tried but I'm sure it would keep a fish good for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

yea there are a few videos on YOUTUBE also and it works equally as well as actual bags made for it
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I started using a $10 Wegmans XL cooler bag for my fish. It seems to have a bit more insulation than some bags, and for only $10, I think you'd be hard pressed to find/make something as good or better. It's also fairly long too, the XL size should accommodate several fish from 20-25." It worked great during Jbay, I think the most I had in there though were 3 blues between 18-23" and 1 19" flounder, and it still had plenty of room.

Comment

Or maybe use this and make a hard cooler that fits perfectly in the back of my Outback. Yet again using Gorilla tape and glue. Then using the bungee cords to secure it.
                061ca435-fbff-49ac-9e0b-24bad4acc1fe_1000.jpg
                Comes in 4x8 sheets.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

After looking at a couple of the videos on youtube I think I'll make up a bag out of my left over reflectix and see what happens. With luck I will have some fish on Friday to give it a real test. I think for me the next question is, where do I store it with fish and frozen water bottles inside on my Outback? Maybe we'll see if it can squeeze through the hull opening between my legs. If others use them, where/how do you carry them with fish in 'em?

Comment

Either strapped to the front or lying in the back storage area
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

FWIW, I put one together last night out of reflectix. It took less than 10 minutes. I used leftover 16" wide reflectix which I just folded over on itself leaving one side about 4" longer than the other. I cut it, then gorilla taped up the sides. I used a strip of Velcro on the extra inches to make a closable flap.

I left a sandwich size ziplock bag of ice in it overnight and it's still more than half ice this morning. I think it's a keeper. I can fold it up lengthwise making it about 5"x4"x16", open it's 34" long x 16 wide.

Comment

IMG_20170616_150421253.jpg

I tried out my bag today. Worked great. I made it 34" long, dreaming of catching a fish that would fill it up. First Rock of the year, 32". Close enough. 2 frozen coke bottles kept the fish cool and were still half ice 7 hours after putting them. I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          I started using a $10 Wegmans XL cooler bag for my fish. It seems to have a bit more insulation than some bags, and for only $10, I think you'd be hard pressed to find/make something as good or better. It's also fairly long too, the XL size should accommodate several fish from 20-25." It worked great during Jbay, I think the most I had in there though were 3 blues between 18-23" and 1 19" flounder, and it still had plenty of room.
                          I use the $7.00 Costco insulated cooler bag...bought three of em...ruined one with catfish- I usually keep fish alive on stringer and transfer them to bag with 5 # ice...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Azmdted, Way to go!! Did you place it on the front or in the back of the yak?? Also did you go single layer or double??
                            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                              Azmdted, Way to go!! Did you place it on the front or in the back of the yak?? Also did you go single layer or double??
                              Thanks. I kept him in the water till it was time to peddle back. Then he went into the bag and in the back on top of my gear. I've never tried to reach the front hatch while in the water and am not sure I'm nimble enough to get there. The bag is just a single layer, folded over to make the pouch. A double layer would be way too bulky.

Comment

Working...
                              X