Early Morning Severn Outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Morning Severn Outing

Since I missed an outing at Jonas Green yesterday morning, I decided to get out and launched from Tucker St. at 5:45 to 80 degrees and flat water with the end of a flood tide.
    2017-07-13 06.02.05.jpg

Started trolling two rods (3" swim shad, 3/8 black bucktail with 4" chartreuse PT. When I reached the mouth of Weems, the rod bent, a 16" Rock. No sooner I set that rod in the holder, the other rod bent- healthy schooly. I turned south towards the 450 bridge. About 50yds later landed two more schoolies. Just about the old railroad bridge, I landed 4 more schoolies between 10-14". Both lures I was using were effective. From the old railroad bridge to the 450 bridge I had no hits. Decided to rest my arms, and got my perch rod out and started fishing along the 450 bridge. Was throwing a 1/8 jig with a chartreuse Mister Twister. I threw lure next to shoreline in 1-2 ft, I hooked into a nice fish. After a nice fight (using my light rod) I brought up a 23" SICK ROCK. I carefully took a picture and let it go trying not to touch the body. I guess this is "mycrocystis" I have head about. Been a while since I have seen it in person.
    2017-07-13 06.41.51.jpg 2017-07-13 06.41.54.jpg

I continued to throw the 1/8 jig under the 450 bridge when I got hit again. At first I thought it was a CNR the way it pulled, but then it jumped a little, maybe another rock? Got it to the kayak and was ready to put the grips on it, and realized it was a Catfish!! This really threw me, didn't think catsfish were in the Severn, but again proved wrong.
    2017-07-13 07.14.19.jpg 2017-07-13 07.14.30.jpg

I then started trolling back up the shore towards Weems, nothing until I hit the mouth again and landed a nice almost 20" Rock. Was tempted, but let it go. Continued towards the RT 50 bridge and back, no hits. It was starting to get hot, so decided to head in. Really a very interesting morning. I was the only Kayak out, with a few crabbers. Great morning to be on the water.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Congratulations, John.

I believe you out-fished our entire group yesterday.

We could have used your good fortune.

Thanks for the report.

Does anyone on the forum know the affliction (and cause) of that unfortunate striper?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I don't know the cause and would like to know myself. Last month I caught a 30+" out under the Annapolis bridge that had similar markings and skin covered in mucous. At first I thought they were teeth marks from a large predator, but nope, it was nasty.

Comment

Thats one sick fish! I was out this morning for a couple hours crabbing and fishing. I think I saw you go by as you passing by the Severn Inn. Crabbing was slow, but I was only looking to get a few to pick for a later dinner. Ended up with 9 nice big crabs, 15 or so perch to 12", and a few small stripes.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I believe it's likely a form of Mycobacteriosis, which refers to a genus of bacterium that may infect Rockfish and humans. Usually intensive water conditions as seen in the summer on the Chesapeake are a factor in the bacteria prevalence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          J

Comment

Jman,
            It was nasty, didn't notice any slime.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Cool catfish. Gross rockfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                I believe it's likely a form of Mycobacteriosis, which refers to a genus of bacterium that may infect Rockfish and humans. Usually intensive water conditions as seen in the summer on the Chesapeake are a factor in the bacteria prevalence.
                Makes me reconsider keeping a bottle of hand sanitizer on board!
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Great report and that cat was a nice surprise. Amazing the difference a few miles makes on wind. I launched at St Inigoes and had to fish close to shore in the lee. Mainstem Potomac was frothy until around 8 when the wind finally slacked a little. My fishing success reflected where I could fish.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                  X