Hobie Mirage 180 Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Mirage 180 Conversion?

I see that earlier this year a few of you posted about converting your Mirage drive to the new 180. I'm certainly intrigued by the possibility. Has anyone used the new system, or converted and have thoughts on it? I found the parts list and instructions for a conversion at http://www.theoutdoorsource.com/blog/tag/conversion/ but it also says that Hobie has stopped selling the parts. I hope that was just temporary to fix an issue and they're back to being available but I can't find any other reference to it. Has anyone else looked into this?

I sure would like a reverse option on my 2015 Outback, but $800 for a new drive is a bit steep.

Delaware paddle sports sells the parts, I bought a complete drive, I do like reverse. Changing direction is smotth & full power at reverse. No issue with cable pulling off.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I just chatted with Delaware Paddle Sports and they confirmed that Hobie isn't selling the parts any more. Apparently they're having a hard time meeting the demands for their new yaks and need all the parts for that. Hopefully that will change over time.

Comment

theres a guys that makes a modification. he has made steel cable pull cords with metal inserts which will not break ..may want to do it beforehand and avoid it all togetehr
        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I have a 180 and examined it closely. there are 2 pull cords that pull on a string to pivot the fins. If the fins are butterflied apart no amount of pulling will easily reverse the drive. I suspect that issues people have had are related to fin position when changing direction. I had thought about creating my own pull cords but suspect it will cause a break elsewhere and in use I've changed direction 100s of times while stopped & in motion, and as long as the pedals are close to each other I have had no issue in changing direction. People have had breaks where the cable attaches to the lever.

https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_ass..._generated.png

I don't think a steel cable mod is a useful one.
          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
            I have a 180 and examined it closely. there are 2 pull cords that pull on a string to pivot the fins. If the fins are butterflied apart no amount of pulling will easily reverse the drive. I suspect that issues people have had are related to fin position when changing direction. I had thought about creating my own pull cords but suspect it will cause a break elsewhere and in use I've changed direction 100s of times while stopped & in motion, and as long as the pedals are close to each other I have had no issue in changing direction. People have had breaks where the cable attaches to the lever.

https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_ass..._generated.png

I don't think a steel cable mod is a useful one.
            The whole cord including screw set getsreplaced

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

25 shipped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
              X