Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reccos on anchor trolley for Ocean Kayak Trident 11'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccos on anchor trolley for Ocean Kayak Trident 11'?

I need to put an anchor trolley on my yak-Trident 11'. A little nervous about poking holes in my boat. Anyone have a reccomendation on a decent anchor trolley that is relatively easy to install? Thanks a lot!!
    You gotta hook em to cook em
    Moken Lite 10'
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13'

YakAttack...what I have on mine
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ronaulmtd- is this the one?? Thanks!!!

https://www.amazon.com/YakAttack-Lev...anchor+trolley
      You gotta hook em to cook em
      Moken Lite 10'
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13'

Comment

Yep...I have this exact same one on Lady Luck...I always anchor up when fishing for Blue Cats...a bonus is the anchor line has reflective fibers that shine when a light is focused on the kayak...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-03-2017, 07:33 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Carabiner attached to the bow handle, carabiner attached to the side handle, loop para cord between the two carabiners and connect the two ends of the line to a third carabiner. Anchor line clips through the third carabiner and you can slid it back and forth. If you want a stern anchor trolley just tie up another one going the opposite way. No holes!
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            Carabiner attached to the bow handle, carabiner attached to the side handle, loop para cord between the two carabiners and connect the two ends of the line to a third carabiner. Anchor line clips through the third carabiner and you can slid it back and forth. If you want a stern anchor trolley just tie up another one going the opposite way. No holes!
            I very rarely use a trolley or anchor when fishing in Maryland waters. On the few occasions that I do use an anchor, I use a quickly installable rig like Slobber Bob describes.
            Last edited by J.A. Veil; 12-03-2017, 11:17 AM.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wheatonkayak,

I also like Slobber Bob's approach and that's what I would do if I needed to make an anchor trolley.

My Ultimate came with a trolley installed on each side of the boat. It's a nice feature but I rarely use it. The last time I did was in May when the wind was blowing 30 mph at Unicorn Lake. Otherwise I position myself to use the wind to my advantage for a good drift. That includes paddling into the wind a long way if necessary and then reversing so the wind is at my back. Also I concentrate on the lee shoreline when the wind dictates.

For my Revo my pedals are my anchor. I either use them to hold position or to circle back to a productive spot.

On my trip to TX last month the guide provided an anchor but I never used it. Yet we had to hold position on occasion in the wind and tidal current. Instead of an anchor I used my feet. The waters we fished were very shallow, often 2 feet or less. I simply put a leg over the gunnel and held onto the bottom that way.

In this photo my left leg is overboard and my foot was holding me in place:

20171104_1017071.jpg

That approach wasn't my idea. The guide recommended it. At times I would sit sideways on the kayak and scoot along with my feet. The guide called that crab-walking. It was effective in the shallows and I liked it better than employing an anchor which I find time consuming and tiring if done often during a trip.

It's a great approach for TX but there are few places I fish locally where I can hold the bottom with my feet. The bottom was hard in TX. Here it's often silt and muck.

In fact, last week I fished in an Eastern Shore tidal creek. The tide was low and the bottom was pure muck. When the wind came up, I purposely backed the stern of my Ultimate into the shoreline muck to hold position. It worked fine and was better than fussing with an anchor.

So, unless you frequently bottom fish and need to hold a precise spot for an extended period you may find an anchor unnecessary. As with most kayak accessories your need for them depends on your fishing style. Often there are solutions on the water that negate the need to carry and install another accessory.

Good luck,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X