Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog, Sharks and Happy Thoughts in CHSP, July 29, 2014

Pinch,
    I found a split second video of a small shark on the video (at 01:17). The video was taken unintentionally for 20 minutes when I was trying to free the stuck spear.

Minh, Pinch, Kenny and I went to the Outer Wall for Tautog and Triggerfish. The water clarity was good. The visibility was 6-12' depending on the spots. So three of us spear-fished.

Pinch said he encountered a 7' shark at the light house. I heard a few times from other spear fishermen about the 7 ' sharks at the light house. I encountered 4-5 sand tiger sharks at 3.5 - 6' almost all day.

Unfortunately, after 30 minutes of spear fishing, I had to cut the cord to the spear because the spear was stuck in a deep and narrow crack. A 22 inch tautog pulled it into the crack when it was shot. So Minh and I shared a smaller gun (without a camera mounted)

So there was no under water videos after I cut the cord.

We had wrong spear tips. Pinch had a perfect gun for the outer wall. But the paralyzer (three prong tip) didn't work well with tautog. The paralyzer tip was great for triggerfish with leather skins. Tautog were hit but they came off the paralyzer according to Pinch.

The single small wing tip on the small gun didn't wok well either. 5-6 tautog came off after the whole spear shaft went through bodies

Each time a tautog was hit, a shark came back in a few seconds. The six footer and I stared each other calmly few times. I practiced Happy Gilmore's "Happy Thoughts" constantly not to send wrong signals to the dumb fish. I tried to send messages to the dumb fish - that I was also a (bigger) predator, I was not intimated by you, and more importantly I might hurt you. When I moved toward slowly to the fish, the thing moved away as other curious fish did in the past.

I am planning to go back to the same spot. This time I will have the camera ready for the sharks hanging out there.

BTW, Pinch didn't release the fish as usual. He gave to us.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-02-2014, 10:23 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

You guys are too deadly. Please save some fish for us anglers to hook.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Did you find your weight belt in the front hatch or is it still at the wall?
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
        Found it. It was between the bow hatch and the center hatch.

I stopped by Mako in Fredericksburg, VA yesterday, and bought two spears (with shaft) and a 25' float line. I am ready to go again

joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Oh that's good. Did you get the balloon tires too?
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Very cool gents.

Congrats Minh on your first time spearfishing! I hope to try it out someday soon!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Haha! When I read this last night, guess what movie my wife had on...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Haha! When I read this last night, guess what movie my wife had on...
                Sharknado!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Ha no, happy gilmore
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    Ha no, happy gilmore
                    I'm guessing you're referring to the hidden talent of spearfishing...lol...or shark and alligator?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                      Yes. I used it yesterday. It works well on the sand. Though when I tried put the heavily loaded kayak on the cart it seems the Hobie cart is designed to be used for an empty kayak or lightly loaded . In my case, I need to unload every thing. I could put the kayak back on the water to insert the cart to the scuper holes. But it won't happen in winter in the cold water.

I felt I was going to break the cart or break the scuper holes because of the additional weight I put on the kayak.
                      I am going to make Tufnik's cart.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X