X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI - Limit Out! Fri, 1 Aug

RI - Limit Out! Fri, 1 Aug

Roosevelt Inlet

It was cloudy all day with light winds. I caught the outgoing just about low tide as I jigged along the edges, docks, canal, channel and inlet using a tandem rig with a 3" white Gulp swimming mullet on top and a white 1 oz bucktail on the bottom.

Was on the water just before 8 am, and just a half an hour later, I caught my first keep of the day, a 16 incher. The rest of the morning went well; caught a bunch of toads, croakers and a 19.5" flounder.

Just after noon I hooked up and battled a ray. The warm day made it a good workout. I cut the line after 25 minutes.

It was about 2 pm when I had three keeper flatties in the bag. I was pretty happy with three, but then I thought, "Man, if I could only limit out...been trying for a while...I never limited out on a yak with four keeper flatties before."

Nearly two hours went by, and I caught only another toad and another croaker. It was time to call it a day. It looked like I wasn't going to make the limit.

I went to a spot where three anglers on a boat were fishing. They caught only croakers, so I figured I'd pick up the same.

I drop the tandem rig, and within a few seconds, something hit the bucktail like a freight train. It didn't spool the reel, but it fought hard. I thought, "Doesn't feel like a flounder......too feisty and strong." I worked it up, and whoa, it definitely was a flounder. Yes, got the limit! The keeper measured 18".

Total:
    1 sting ray
    3 croakers
    5 toads
    2 short flounder
    4 keeper flounder (16, 16, 18, 19.5")

Although it was cloudy all day with some showers in the afternoon, it was definitely a good catchin' day.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice job! Way to persevere.

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Nice, any luck on that shrimp plastic?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Nice, any luck on that shrimp plastic?
        I did not give it fair time. I switched to Gulp after a couple fish hit the bucktail instead. To date, no catches on it.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

nice report!! great way to end the day with nice keeper!!

Comment

Man I need to get me some flounders again

Comment

Nice Tufnik! That 18" looks meaty!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Awesome! That's a lot of doormats on one yak.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                X