Chsp 7/26-27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chsp 7/26-27

Made another trip to CHSP looking for flounder, tog and triggers saturday. Fished saturday evening by the pier looking for flounder and jigged up a couple shorts and missed a few bites. Beautiful evening on the water.

Sunday, launched around 0445 and headed straight out to the outer wall. Conditions were a little bumpy first thing but layed down ocean side as the morning progressed. Started by the lighthouse and worked my way north to the end of the wall and then back. Caught 2 tog at 14" and 15", some cunner, croaker and blues along with busting off a good tog and loosing a couple other heavy fish. My best areas were on the northern end of the wall during the slack and into the outgoing. Fished through a quart of green crab by about 1400 and wished I had more bait but decided to start making the run in to try for some more flounder. Turned the corner by the lighthouse and right into a stiff breeze and the end of the outgoing tide. I made it about 50 yards before one of the chains on my mirage drive snapped Outgoing tide+ wind+ broken mirage drive = no fun! Let me tell you, I am not in paddling shape! Busted out the paddle and headed directly across to the cape at a blistering pace of 1.25-1.5 mph and had to work hard to make that. Once I made the cape I joined a guy and his girlfriend who had also given up fighting the wind and current, walking our kayaks along the shore back towards the pier. Once I cleared the cape I got back in the kayak and headed to the inner wall and started jigging a buck tail with croaker belly and a double gulp rig from the middle of the wall back towards the lighthouse. Managed a few croaker and then an 18" flounder right at the end of the wall on the gulp. It was working on 1730 by this time and with the mirage drive out of commision and my bait gone I decided to call it a day. There weren't may boats fishing but I did see one pull up a few tog and the spear fisherman seemed to limit out quickly.
    Last edited by chimo; 07-29-2014, 05:35 AM.

Great report Wayne, sorry to hear about your mirage drive. That must be a bad feeling when the drive busts, especially at CHSP
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Man, sorry to hear about the chain! We watched you fish for a little while (not to sound creepy, haha); we were in the Sea Hunt center console that was just drifting by the outer wall watching the dolphins. I wish we had stuck around a bit longer, we could have helped you out a bit. Interesting you say that about the two younger folks at the Cape Point, as we passed by them I had a strong feeling they were pooped, it looked like the were headed into the beach. Glad to hear you made it up though by getting some good eats.
      Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

ouch I was stuck coming in against that outgoing the last day I was down there. Having my mirage drive fail in a spot like that is my worst nightmare. I had a buddy down that day and he tore one of his fins on the way in and just barely made it back with one. We thought about heading to shore and walking back but he didn't have wheels and that rip looked way crazier further in toward the beach. Glad you made it out ok and even got a couple fish for dinner
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice report and sorry to hear about the busted chain!

So what's the consensus in terms of why the Triggers haven't seemed to really show up yet?

Comment

What is chsp

Comment

Nice job on the fish, Wayne. Thanks for the report.

Never heard of chain failure. Had my mirage three years and it failed me twice. On one trip (at CBBT) the idler cable broke. On another trip (at CHSP), the front rod broke off.

Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Great report Wayne, sorry to hear about your mirage drive. That must be a bad feeling when the drive busts, especially at CHSP
                Yup, it sucked! I'd be more ticked except I might not even have been out there without it. Starting to have more replacement parts on the drive than original....

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                  Yup, it sucked! I'd be more ticked except I might not even have been out there without it. Starting to have more replacement parts on the drive than original....

Chimo
                  No the feeling, just replaced my drums for the second time... But, oh my the drive was so smooth this morning also sprayed some silicon lubricant on it for good measure. Been a while since its felt that smooth!

Hobies are not made to be paddled...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    No the feeling, just replaced my drums for the second time... But, oh my the drive was so smooth this morning also sprayed some silicon lubricant on it for good measure. Been a while since its felt that smooth!

Hobies are not made to be paddled...
                    What prompted you to replace your drums? My drive doesn't seem as tight as when I first got it. The pedal legs has some side to side wiggle room. Not sure what causes that...

and yes. Hobies are definitely not made to be paddled...
                    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM.
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Mine has been loose too and goes side to side wider than the original. I looked at the new ones while at BYB and can tell it's tighter.

The saltwater kills everything. Always rinse with fresh as soon as you get off. It'll help for sure but not stop the corrosion completely.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        What prompted you to replace your drums? My drive doesn't seem as tight as when I first got it. The pedal legs has some side to side wiggle room. Not sure what causes that...

and yes. Bobies are definitely not made to be paddled...
                        Yea, that's exactly why I replaced them. I took my drive to backyard boats to get a new pedal and Dennis said the drums seemed worn. Definitely helped...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                          Yea, that's exactly why I replaced them. I took my drive to backyard boats to get a new pedal and Dennis said the drums seemed worn. Definitely helped...
                          Hmmm... I may take mine to BYB in woodbridge on Friday to get them checked out...

Yikes! I noticed my typo in your thread...
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Yeah, there's slop in my drums too. Thinking about replacing them soon.

After replacing them, I'm thinking about installing some grease fittings. I saw some web site showing how this guy drilled holes in the drums and installed the fittings. Seems like a good idea so I can regularly grease the shaft. I use silicon spray now, but I think the thicker grease is better suited to reduce wear, especially while in saltwater.

Comment

Found the site.
                              http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11136

Comment

Working...
                              X