OBX- Redfish slam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX- Redfish slam!

My 8 year old daughter and I had an awesome time fishing the outer banks at oregon inlet this past week (Cape Hatteras national seashore). We camped at the oregon inlet campground, which for $20 bucks a night was perfect in its proximity to the launch. The redfish bite was like nothing I've ever witnessed. We fished exclusively in the late afternoons due to the warm weather, on the outgoing tide. Paddletail plastics on a jig head. While the first day was slow, (we only caught 3) day 2 proved to be the best fishing I've ever seen. We caught an unbelievable total of 26 redfish all within the span of about two hours. During most of that time we were doubled up, having to cross under and over each others line to keep from tangling lines. We had pulled up to a sandbar and did not move from our spot the whole time. Literally every cast resulted in the characteristic thump. thump -and then 10 minutes of screaming drag. A couple of fish came unbuttoned and then before the lure came back in another fish would hit. What an incredibly powerful fish. We had 2 fish pull our knots and one fish that broke off the leader at the knot to the braid, so we tied directly to braid from there on out. I kept expecting the bite to let up or the fish to move on, but it did not. Eventually we were so tired (my daughter started to complain that her wrist hurt) so we called it a day. A hard day to beat as far as fishing goes and a great time with my kid I won't ever forget. Fish were mostly in the 20-24 inch range with the biggest at about 27 inches. All fish were released unharmed back to the ocean.
    IMG_6422.jpgIMG_6411.jpgIMG_6375.jpgIMG_6427.jpgIMG_6413.jpg
    Attached Files
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

It doesn't get much better than that. The first picture of your daughter is great. You can tell she had a kick ass time too. Congrats on a good day.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Man, what a great day! That's worth the drive down! Your daughter will remember it her whole life.

Comment

That sounds like a perfect trip. I would love to experience some redfish fun like that. Cool you got to share it with your daughter and dog!

Comment

Reports like this one are the greatest!! Great job Jhoss and daughter.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

That was a good trip!

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Memories to last a life time!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                We had pulled up to a sandbar and did not move from our spot the whole time.
                That was a great post! Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures. I am going down there the 3rd week of September for a week and hope that the fishing is the same. Did you have your daughter and dog all on the kayak with you? If so, what fun that must have been.
                Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                Cobra Explorer

Comment

Great report. Those experiences don't come along every day.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I love a report like that.... Thx for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                      That was a great post! Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures. I am going down there the 3rd week of September for a week and hope that the fishing is the same. Did you have your daughter and dog all on the kayak with you? If so, what fun that must have been.
                      Yep, both were along for the duration of the trip. I hadn't ever taken the dog out before, but my daughter insisted. I wasn't sure if the dog would stay put in the boat but she did just fine. My daughter likes to paddle so I have a little sit inside yak I tethered to the back of mine. It's pretty comical actually.
                      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

really nice - congrats to you and your daughter!!!

Comment

That's awesome. I would have brought 2 of them back and roast it right on the camp fire!! The last two before you call it a day of course!

Comment

Great report. The pic of your daughter says it all.
                            And it sounds like your dog is your new kayak fishing good luck charm
                            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks,

Great fish, and great trip with your daughter. Neither of you will forget that.
                              Hurricane Skimmer 128
                              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                              X