Chsp 7/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chsp 7/20

Fished 0500-1800. The original idea was to hit the outer wall ocean side for tog but the wind made that pretty much impossible with waves breaking over the wall for a good part of the afternoon. Fished the outer side of the outer wall for a few minutes first thing (and got pounded), the inside of the outer wall, both sides of the inner wall and the fishing pier. Caught a bunch of croaker to 13.5 inches, an 18 inch rockfish, a bunch of toads, one flounder at 15 inches, a 10 inch spot, and around 10 tog. Only 2 of the tog were bigger than 10 inches though and they were both short of 15. Pretty much everything was eating the sand fleas and I got one of the larger tog on green crab. I did see one nice 20+ inch tog get pulled into a boat at the north end of the outer wall but that was the only keeper I saw all day. The water was getting pretty churned up in places from the wind by the time I left.Pretty terrible photos but...

You can see the spreay coming over the wall while it was nice and calm in on the lee side.
    1st tog of the day, snagged in the tail. I was getting some tiny buggers.
    Last edited by chimo; 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM.

Tap...Tap....retreat...and you still managed to snag him in the rear end. That'll teach him.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm no expert but the tog pictured may actually be a bergall. Nice report
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        +1 Alias cunner.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I was out there on 7/19 and got one trigger and one keeper tog at 17 inches. Stopped by the pilings on my way back and jigged a couple keeperish size flounder that I released much to the chagrin of the people heckling me from the end of the pier. 7/20 wasn't so hot for me caught croaker and short tog at the outer wall and then short flounder on the way in. Also managed to put my leg in a hole between two rocks when I climbed up on the outer wall and shredded my right leg on the razor sharp barnacles.

I was so tired today from pedaling over 20 miles in the last 4 days I just chilled and ate yesterday's catch but tomorrow it's back to the outer wall to hunt more triggers and togs
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

MMM love me some triggers... I need to find a way to get up there soon.
            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Thats a new one on me, how do you tell the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                Thats a new one on me, how do you tell the difference?
                They almost have a blueish tint in color and have a more slender body with a pointier head. Also the teeth are a little smaller and they overall are smaller than Tog.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                  I was out there on 7/19 and got one trigger and one keeper tog at 17 inches. Stopped by the pilings on my way back and jigged a couple keeperish size flounder that I released much to the chagrin of the people heckling me from the end of the pier. 7/20 wasn't so hot for me caught croaker and short tog at the outer wall and then short flounder on the way in. Also managed to put my leg in a hole between two rocks when I climbed up on the outer wall and shredded my right leg on the razor sharp barnacles.

I was so tired today from pedaling over 20 miles in the last 4 days I just chilled and ate yesterday's catch but tomorrow it's back to the outer wall to hunt more triggers and togs
                  Jealous of that trigger! Maybe next weekend...

Comment

That trigger fish is cool looking!

Comment

Nice reportin and catching!! That's crazy with that spray coming over the walls like that!! I've never even seen it whipping around that much, which is probably a good thing because I would hate to fish in it! LOL

Comment

Thanks Chimo and Romo for the reports...hoping for the Triggers to start showing up some more!

Ryan - what were you using for the tog and trigger?
                        Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Triggers and all keeper togs so far have been on sand fleas. Pedaling in now got two keeper tog at 16" and 17" saw a guy get a trigger and lose a big drum in his anchor line. Wind is kickin now
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Very nice! Eat well and pedal safe!
                            Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Flounder saved the day

I was out there July 20th too.

The outer wall didn't look that bad in the morning. So I went. The ocean side was very rough. And the water was murky. I jigged inside from the point to the middle. No bites. few toadfish, and a croaker.
                              I tried the outside of the inner wall on the way back. The wind wasn't strong but the waves were. It was difficult to fish.
                              I came back to the inside of the inner wall. It was calm and nice. I met Kenny and a kayakers. None did well. We tried for flounder for an hour. Kenny and I, each caught a keeper flounder.

Side note:
                              I have used my tog/trigger/sheephead rig for flounder it has been pretty good. I replace the hooks based on the size of the
                              Gulp. I use Eagle Claws 2/0 J hook for 3" Gulp and 3/0 hook for 4" Gulp. To me this rig works as good as buck-tail combo, and very cheap.
                              I didn't have 5" Gulp. I think I will use 5" or 4 " only. I think 3" Gulp (not on a bucktail) is too small for keeper flounder.

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM.
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X