Kayak trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak trailers

May be looking for a kayak trailer after all. Have any of you owned a Loadrite, Malone Microsport, Trailex -250-m, or Yakima Rack-and-Roll? Have you been happy? Sad?

The Rack-and-Roll has been highly touted but even used sames very pricey. Some of the better priced trailers are galvinized steel. Any issues with g.s. versus aluminum?

I hope that whatever I get, I can push it loaded up a drive. The Malone and the Yakima have handles for that purpose.

If I find a bargain, I'll buy now. Otherwise, I'll try car topping my new PA until I find one - maybe have to wait until the off-season.

The real reason for buying a trailer is so that I can carry both my PA and my Ride 135. That way I can take my son or a friend fishing.

I just ordered a hitch kit for my car cause im tired of lifting the yak on top of the roof. Im gonna end up getting a trailer from harbor freight, they run for around 300. They just need some modifications and it should do the trick to haul a yak.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I have a Trailex single kayak that I mainly use to haul my 16 foot 90 pound canoe. I still haul my kayak ontop of the truck. I love my Trailex trailer. It does not rust since it is aluminum. It is extremely light, so it is easy to lift and move. My only problem that I ran into is in how often I use my trailer with my kayak. I like to fish different areas all over, and many areas are not trailer friendly and cost. The cost occurs when you cross a bridge, you will have to pay for the extra axle. So a trip across the BB will go from $2.50 (car top) to $9.00 trailered, then alot of places let car toppers park for free, but if you have a trailer then either you have to pay for a permit or they cannot accomodate trailered boats. If the cost are no problem for you, or you tend to fish at the same area all the time that offers trailer parking for little or no cost, then you cannot beat the trailer for hauling your boat. I recommend the Trailex.

Comment

Regarding Trailex

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Mr MOC. How does it ride on rough roads? I understand the Rack-and-Roll coil suspension is superior to those with spring leafs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
          I just ordered a hitch kit for my car cause im tired of lifting the yak on top of the roof. Im gonna end up getting a trailer from harbor freight, they run for around 300. They just need some modifications and it should do the trick to haul a yak.
          I've already got the hitch on my Crown Vic. Memorymaker told me about Harbor Freight. I may go that way if I don't find a used trailer to my liking.

Comment

I have not had any problems on rough roads. Of course there is not alot of weight on the trailer... It is rated for 200 pounds. So the trailer with the boat is very light, so It bounces easily. I do not think that I miss having the springs. I have had my trailer for over 6 years now, it it was worth every penny. Like I said, I use it mainly for my canoe, and the area that I take it out is a free launch spot 30 mins from my house and they allow trailers....so it is a no brainer for me......

Comment

I also have a trailex single kayak trailer. It takes all the work out of going fishing. Its very light. I also use the trailer as my dolly. I have gotten a hitch dolly, so launching where there is no ramp is like pulling a wagon. I have not had any problems with rough roads. I take it all over the place. There is a little added price of some tolls, but for me it is well worth not having to load the kayak. After 8 hours of fishing, the last thing I want to do is load a kayak onto the roof of my truck.

The only place that I still use racks, depending where I am staying, is Ocean City. The parking is scarce.

Comment

I'm down to a used RackandRoll versus new Malone Microsport

I can get either for about same price. Malone comes with a decent warranty - 5 years and reports are good on towing, quality, and support. 50 lbs heavier than the R&R.

Used Rackand Roll is a proven quantity -maybe the cadilacc of kayak trailers - but I'm on my on if something goes wrong.

Comment

Like Dogfish says, the Trailex is a great kayak hauler. I also forgot to mention that I use it to Dolly my canoe since the trailer is so light. Ini the winter since my space is limited in my garage, I store the trailer under my walk under deck. I have hooks on the side of the deck post where I can by myself hang the trailer out of the way in the winter. I have had it for years with no problems.

Comment

Trailex souncs super too

Wish I could find one used. Found one of Craig's list but was just for single boat. Put in a call to the Hitchman. We'll see what they can do.

Comment

here is a pic i got from KFS of a harbor frieght trailer rigged up

this is the one i recently purchased. its on backorder so we'll see how long it takes to get but im planning on doing something similar.

Attached Files
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

another one....

Attached Files
                        Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I'm interested to see how this goes, two kayaks on my the roof of my xterra is too much to handle.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Here's info on %25 off one item at Harbor Freight... SUNDAY ONLY!!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...id=0&t=2865849

Comment

Working...
                            X