Togs at the Outer Wall CHSP - July 17, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togs at the Outer Wall CHSP - July 17, 2014

I went to the outer wall for spearfishing. I expected Tautog and Triggerfish. I didn't see triggerfish at all.
    Anglers using rods and reels didn't do good.

A diver killed a large spadefish, and a trigger fish. An average divers killed 2-4 tautogs

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Jealous. That's why I attach my gun to a float line.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I brought a 50' JBL float line (Sea Vine Stretchable Float Line) and a 10 year old inflatable float. The plug on the valve broke off and I dropped the plug in the water before I started.

When I came up, I immediately marked a rock for the reference point. Though, I thought I lost the gun and a GoPro. When a diver passed by, I asked him search for the gun. Somehow he located the gun in the murky water.

Tomorrow, If I can go, I will bring a crap pot buoy for the float line.

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

nice work! So, the togs are not very interested in biting now?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice Joe. Are you using free diving fins? It looked like it in the video... I remember you mentioning that you are better off using scuba fins in that area because of the tight contours, or maybe I misunderstood...
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            nice work! So, the togs are not very interested in biting now?
            Togs weren't biting. It may has to do with higer temp???

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              Very nice Joe. Are you using free diving fins? It looked like it in the video... I remember you mentioning that you are better off using scuba fins in that area because of the tight contours, or maybe I misunderstood...
              Unlike fishing off a boat in the middle of water, spearfishing in Cape Henlopen (or CBBT rock piles) is more spearfishing off the land. The rocks are covered with barnicles. Shoes with hard soles helps a lot when taking off the fins. Some people wear tennis shoes and fins. The golves and 1mm- 5mm wet suits are must to protect from cuts. The most people wear 3-5mm because of the cold water. This means weight belt with some weight is necessary. I carry 16 lb weight for 5mm full wetsuit. This makes me neturally buoyant in 15' down. Hood is recommanded because of the jelly fish. The most of fish are in 8-15' down.

I use 3 anchors because the kayak is unattended. I had two incidents that one and two anchor systems failed in two different time periods. I keep my cell phone and a cooler on the top of the rock pile, in case that all anchors fail.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, hopefully they start biting! I'll be down this weekend in hopes of some dinner.
                Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Great video! I always enjoy seeing underwater footage of fish cruising around their natural habitat.

The tog are still biting in OC but certainly aren't as aggressive as they are in the spring and fall. They've been downright picky sometimes.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X