Avalon NJ Flounder 7/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalon NJ Flounder 7/1

I had to take my buddies boat trailer back to Stone Harbor after we repaired the brakes.

So naturally I had to take the Hobie and some rods. I launched from the Stone Harbor public marina and drifted north into Avalon.
    I fished from 10:30 until 1;15pm on the rising tide and picked up 6 flounder all between 16 and 18 inches and I missed twice that many. Because of the wind it was hard to feel the strikes. NJ size limit is 18" and mine were just under the line at 18 so they went back. With the current running north and the wind out of the south that started at about 8 mph when I launched and when I gave up it was blowing 20. It was a very, very fast drift. With the New Hobie I was able to peddle in to the wind to slow the drift down and catch some fish. While peddling I was able to hold bottom with 1 oz jigs but the boats around me I talked to were using 3 oz or more in 15 to 20 feet of water and were still having trouble holding the bottom. All my fish were caught on jigs or buck tails with Gulp swimming mullets. I gave up when the tide shifted and the back bay became white cap city.

Sorry but I forgot the camera in the truck so no pictures this time.
Working...
X