Piranha Max 170 fish finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piranha Max 170 fish finder

I was looking at fish finder for my hobie and being on a limited budget the piranha max 170 looked like a good option. I want to use it through hull but I am worried it will lose to much sensitivity. Has anyone had success with this model using it through hull?

I have two of them and they seem to work fine through the hull, waiting on the transducer that mounts in the scupper hole and then i am going to run both at the same time to see if their is any difference( hopefully no interferrence from one an other)
    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Mine seems to work through the hull as well, I have no other comparison to go by for sensitivity though

Comment

I tried mine through hull and it did not work very well. Every time I bumped it, I lost signal. This included bouncing in the waves. I used vasoline and I also tried epoxy. Perhaps if you get the right medium you'll be ok, but I eventually gave up and put the transducer on the rudder. It is way more sensitive and also reads water temp.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

So, has anyone compared the signals between thru-the-hull and direct? I use the suction cup sensor. It works great, but getting tired of reattaching.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
          X