Susky Trifecta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Trifecta

Saturday was a great day fishing. I got my first big striper in the kayak to the applause of the boats around me. That fish spun my kayak all around and dragged my kayak and anchor 30 yards down river. I didn't think I was going to be able to bring her in. I also caught a nice catfish yesterday as well. I missed 5 fish. I guess I don't really know how to use circle hooks because several got off the line close to the kayak.

I was on my way home and my wife was heading out for some shopping so I figured I swing by the mouth of Deer Creek to see how the shad fishing was doing. It was a blast. Those fish fight and hit the dart so hard that I would say it's some of the most fun fishing I've experienced. I don't think it's at it's peak as the action wasn't really as fast and furious as I'd been led to believe. I got about 5 fish in an hour and a half, compared to the 5 fish in 5 minutes that I heard. I'll probably hit it up again next weekend.
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Sounds like a good day on the water. Congrats on the nice striper and cat. Shad fishing is addictive, too, and April is one of my favorite months of the year because of them.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Great job on the fish. I guess you can say that you got your April Fish. I know you let the Rock go, but what did you do with that big kitty? How big was and what did he bite on? Did you troll to catch the stripers or did you just jig?

Comment

Good fishing out there! WTG on the Striper! I am still waiting to pull my first big one up onto the yak!

MYT

Comment

Everything was catch and release. The catfish was 31" and about 14 lbs. My scale only goes up to 15 lbs so accuracy at that point may be suspect. The striper had it maxed out.

Up there you can catch catfish all day long on cut bait or shrimp from the freezer section. It seemed the bigger the chunk, the bigger the fish. The catfish was caught using a chunk about 2" wide x 5" long and about an inch thick...so a pretty big piece. The circle hook got it right in the corner of the mouth the way it is supposed to so it was released nice and healthy.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

The striper was also caught on cut bait. The water was too cold for them to chase anything yet as the water is in the mid/low 40's. I did troll last week for a few hours with plugs, etc, but nothing. I saw a few guys casting yesterday but everything that I saw was caught on bait. I know some guys have an issue with that and it's understandable but you'll have to make your own call on that. Non of us want to harm the fish so just follow the regulations to minimize impact.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

excellent job. That's a great mixed bag of pullage.

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Awesome job on going out when conditions looked poor and being successfull, nice fish!!

Comment

nice job. i really dont understand the differance between ch with the barb mashed down and bait being worse than non ch jigs and lures with trebles that i think do more damage snagging the fish than a ch in its jaw. i like to hook a fish rather than snag one

Comment

I really dont think you have to worry about carefully handling catfish. Those things are still alive most of time even after being fully cleaned. You could have probably hauled the thing around in your yak all day and then decided at the end of the day to let it go and it would have been fine. haha.

Anyways, nice catches!

I need to get out there sometime soon. I dont mind catching the cats either.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      Saturday was a great day fishing. I got my first big striper in the kayak to the applause of the boats around me. That fish spun my kayak all around and dragged my kayak and anchor 30 yards down river. I didn't think I was going to be able to bring her in. I also caught a nice catfish yesterday as well. I missed 5 fish. I guess I don't really know how to use circle hooks because several got off the line close to the kayak.

I was on my way home and my wife was heading out for some shopping so I figured I swing by the mouth of Deer Creek to see how the shad fishing was doing. It was a blast. Those fish fight and hit the dart so hard that I would say it's some of the most fun fishing I've experienced. I don't think it's at it's peak as the action wasn't really as fast and furious as I'd been led to believe. I got about 5 fish in an hour and a half, compared to the 5 fish in 5 minutes that I heard. I'll probably hit it up again next weekend.
                      , I may go on saturday after i leave work at 12:30 and be there by about 1:00, if you want to meet up.

Comment

I would absolutely take you up on that offer, but I'm out of town this weekend. I'm probably missing the best fishing of the year right now. Let me know how you do.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                          I would absolutely take you up on that offer, but I'm out of town this weekend. I'm probably missing the best fishing of the year right now. Let me know how you do.
                          no problem. raining terrible right now. but the trout are stocked at deer creek, may go for that if its not muddy. have a good one

Comment

Working...
                          X