Good snook bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good snook bite

Snook were decimated in the Tampa region by a cold winter several years ago. My guide, Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing, told me that he has not seen many snook recently and could no longer plan trips to target them. Today proved to be a different story.

We launched at sun-up in the southern part of Tampa Bay. We fished shallow flats and mangrove shorelines casting 12 Fathoms lures 3" Fat Sam mullets on 1/16-oz and 1/8-oz jigheads. Neil was confident that we would catch a bunch of redfish early, then switch over to catching flounder, jacks, and ladyfish later as the sun rose higher. He had no serious thoughts of nailing snook. Those predictions were completely turned around. Neil caught 1 small redfish, and I caught none. We caught no flounder, jacks, or ladyfish. But we found snook in numbers. Over 90 minutes, I caught 8 snook up to 20". They hit hard and swim around aggressively before coming to the boat. All were released. Neil caught several others. He said that was his best day catching snook with clients in 4 years.

002.jpg IMAG1720.jpg IMAG1727.jpg IMAG1729.jpg

We each caught two specs and a few hardhead catfish. Catching so many snook was a lot of fun -- I was disappointed not to catch any reds, but the day was very enjoyable.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

On my third and final day, I caught three more snook -- all between 22" and 25". 14 speckled trout and one jack rounded out my day's catch. The guide caught two redfish, a flounder, and several ladyfish in addition to his snook and trout. It has been an enjoyable three days.

IMAG1749.jpg IMAG1743.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John,

I wondered why you haven't been around lately. Seems like you are doing quite well down in Fla. Things have been real slow here - Pepe La Pew hit me hard last trip to JG. Hurry back so you can help find the fish here.

T.
      Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

John,

Congratulations!

Good pullage and a lot of it today.

Bring some of that back to MD.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very nice!
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Awesome. Can't wait for my trip to Anna Maria Island in two weeks!!!
            2014 WS Ride 115X
            2011 Hobie Outback

Comment

Beautiful snooks, one of my favorites fish to catch. I caught a 33 inch 13 pound snook and I still have that picture framed as one of the most memorable moments in my fishing adventures. Congratulations on your catch

Comment

Working...
              X