First pompano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pompano

I left home at 4:30 am and flew to Tampa, arriving at 8:30 am. I met kayak fishing guide Neil Taylor (Strike Three Kayak Fishing) for breakfast. We launched at 11:15 am to jig bridge pilings for pompano and black drum. It was windier than we would have liked, making it tough to hold on pilings. We were jigging light lures (1" long Silly Willy jig [http://www.captainjoefishing.com/pro...ly+Willy+Jigs] with a pink teaser -- both tied to the running line with the same loop knot) in 12-15 ft depth. We used medium action St Croix Mojo Inshore rods with Daiwa spinning reels.

002.jpg

Some days the bite is red hot, but not today -- bites were few and far between. After an hour I had a very strong pull. Neil told me not to wind it in but to wait until he could tow me into open water away from the pilings. Before he could get over to my location, the strong fish surged and broke the lure off. Neil told me it was a black drum -- probably 20-30 lbs. It was exciting to hook such a strong fish on light tackle.

An hour later, I caught my first pompano -- a new species for me. Later in the day I caught a second one that was an inch or so larger. These fish pull remarkably hard, bending the rod into the water several times on their energetic runs. I also caught two jacks and one ladyfish. Neil caught a small cobia.

001.jpg IMAG1712.jpg

Tomorrow we will try another location to target specs, flounder, and redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats! Those are a good eatin fish. If the bite is slow on artificials/flies, you can always try mole crabs or live shrimp.

Comment

Congrats! Pompano are fun to catch and tasty to eat. Just don't fry them or they turn to mush.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

John,

Good for you. A new species!

But please shake the recent slowness of the MD bite during your outings with Neil.

I wish much pullage for you both tomorrow.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice fishing report, John!
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
            Congrats! Pompano are fun to catch and tasty to eat. Just don't fry them or they turn to mush.

Mobile
            Goody, thanks for this culinary tip. I'd hate to waste the fish by frying it.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

My guide Neil invited me to his house for lunch today. We had pan fried pompano fillets (the ones we caught yesterday). It was a delicious lunch. I watched as Neil cleaned the fish -- the fillets were very white in color and were firm. I'm glad I had a chance to catch them and eat them.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                My guide Neil invited me to his house for lunch today. We had pan fried pompano fillets (the ones we caught yesterday). It was a delicious lunch. I watched as Neil cleaned the fish -- the fillets were very white in color and were firm. I'm glad I had a chance to catch them and eat them.
                Interesting. The texture didn't get mushy from frying it? I fried one and it got mushy. How did he pan fry it? Coating or anything?

Mobile

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Dredge moist fillet in a bag of seasoned crumbs (presumable a special blend). Pan fry in olive oil. Delicious.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X