New to Kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kayaking

I have been cursed with the kayak fishing virus. Having done saltwater fly fishing back in South Africa and a ton of regular fishing I did small exploratory fishing outings from the shore in Florida, Georgia and now Maryland.

I live and sailing on the Chessy out of Back Creek in Eastport and I had decided that not much good fishing was available from the shore and fishing piers are just not my idea of fishing. Just recently I tried out bass fishing from a hire boat on Loch Raven and WOW those fish are crafty little critter and the challenge was on.

I have since graduated to kayaks and it has opened a whole new world. I presently do not own a kayak and use rental equipment but it is time to move the game up a couple of notches. This is an amazing site and I do believe that I will eventually find the answer to the quest to find the "Holy Grail" of kayaking -what kayak is best SOT vs SIK? I would like to meet up with other yakkers and learn more about the rigging and fishing gear needed.

welcome to site.

SOT is what you want. They have a lot more cargo space and are more versatile when it come to rigging. With a SIK, you have to be carefull not to get water inside whereas with a SOT its hard to fill with water since they have an inclused hull. SOT's are also easier to get back on top if you ever flip. If you are fishing in calm waters like lakes and ponds then a SIT will do but you can take a SOT kayak pretty much anywhere.

Take a look at the hobies. They are a bit more expensive but the mirage drive is well worth it. If your looking for a paddle kayak, Wilderness Tarpons are also very stable and reliable.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Tks for the welcome, you have just confirmed what I was thinking. It looks like I will be able to rent/hire a Hobie Mirage Revolution for the weekend at a reasonable price. I have had to rethink my backward thinking that the Chessy does not have fishing opportunities. From what I can see is that you guys are catching some decent fish. I will have to upgrade my tackle as I am rigged for freshwater and use 10lb braid with 12lb monofiliment leader. What you are catching looks like it needs heavier tackle.

I have some commitments for the next 2 weeks but want to get on the water the weekend 22/23 Aug are there any guys that will have a novice along for the ride and to gain some experience?

Comment

welcome, too bad you can't make it to spsp on saturday, having a get together to practice self-rescue should be a few people from different forums there. also good to check out different riggs/

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. Darn life is a dog...... have a prior commitment in PA and short of a national disaster I cannot get out of it. I am sure there will be more opportunities going forward, please keep me posted to any event coming up.

Comment

welcome! and let us know when ever you head out
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X