Virginia Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Shad

Hit the Occoquan early this morning to try for a couple! I was worried with how sunny it was, threw a gold spoon in many key places before having to call it quits just before lunch due to work. I only managed to snag a single scale off one, I saw them splashing through out the day. My luck has been off this year! I am going to try again tomorrow morning, be more active about switching to a different color spoon or switching back to darts which I am more familiar with using. I can only get skunked so many more times on this river.

TJ

TJ, Thanks for the intel. Sorry about that darn skunk. I saw some reports they were getting them around Fletchers today. Mostly in the afternoon. With warmer temps tomorrow should be good. Earliest I can get there is Sunday. But first, Saturday I'm gonna try the flats!

Comment

Thanks John, I hope you guys kill em Saturday! Have my turbo fins and sailing rudder coming in Friday.. Flats trip is kinda tempting, otherwise maybe bay bridge area Saturday..

That's interesting about the afternoon bite @ Fletcher's, maybe with the warmer day they will switch on earlier tomorrow. I fished from the 123 Bridge up to the Rocks.

Comment

Thanks for the update, TJ. I'm planning on hitting the Rapp and/or the Occoquan on Friday evening or Saturday, depending on the rain.

You might want to try a tandem rig with a dart and a spoon to see what they're hitting. I made up a bunch to try this weekend. I might add a bullet weight above my snap to help get it down.

Good luck on the flats, John.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Flats flats flats flats... so far it's two revo's vs my OK Trident, make it 3 TJ?
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I would like to join you guys on the flats this weekend, but my house needs some repairs that I must finish this weekend. Take lots of pictures for me... I would do the same for you.

Comment

The skunk is off

Hit it again this morning, what a difference a day can make.. Stopped counting after the first dozen, they were hitting a Red/Yellow shad dart better then the gold spoon, though the spoon caught 4 or 5. Arm is sore.. that is more like a normal day of shad fishing.

I always forget just how hard these suckers fight in the year that passes between each season, nice size to some of the fish today too. All released, barb mashed down on dart.

Comment

That one looks ready to explode! Good to hear things are picking up! I'll be up at chain bridge tomorrow...
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

It seems they are in ! I have tried tandems in the past from the shore, but got frustrated with the constant tangles. I opted to rig a dart on one pole and a spoon on the other to keep things clean and hassle free. I was using a couple of split-shot on both to get down deep in the current. They liked a -lot- of jig action in the dart. That seemed to be the trick today. Good luck Bill!

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                  Thanks for the update, TJ. I'm planning on hitting the Rapp and/or the Occoquan on Friday evening or Saturday, depending on the rain.

You might want to try a tandem rig with a dart and a spoon to see what they're hitting. I made up a bunch to try this weekend. I might add a bullet weight above my snap to help get it down.

Good luck on the flats, John.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow and Saturday! I am still debating on The Flats, what was the meeting address/park and time again? I doubt I'll make it, since I have to be in Berryville Sunday... But maybe..

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    That one looks ready to explode! Good to hear things are picking up! I'll be up at chain bridge tomorrow...

Comment

Awesome! You made my day, TJ. Were you anchored up or did you park your yak on shore and cast out?
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Happy to help! I beached the yak onto a partially submerged rock jutting out from the shore since I didn't grab my anchor for whatever reason this morning.

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        Awesome! You made my day, TJ. Were you anchored up or did you park your yak on shore and cast out?

Comment

Hit it again this morning at 8, fished the outgoing apparently. Action seemed similiar to last week, but they promptly shut off at 10:30 which is the low tide time for Occoquan bay. More smaller males then the big females this time, not sure if that is of any implication.

TJ

Comment

Thanks for the report, TJ. Hopefully, I'll be able to hit them a few more times this season.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

No problem Bill! Went this morning, the water was higher and muddier then I have ever seen it, but not at a high rate of flow. Visibility a foot or so. Still, managed to land 4 or 5, two females that still seemed full of roe Much more splashing then I have seen in previous days. I think they are in thick. Also hooked a tiny striper within site of the boat launch. I like to see a little guy like that up there! What would the age be on one this size?

Comment

Working...
                              X