Northern Pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Pike

Went to Tridelphia again, got there about 9:30am, and set up to try finding some more walleye. Didn't have any luck with them, but landed my personal best Northern, got it on my orange spinner with two Gulp Alive! minnows. Speed: 1 knot, depth 12 feet, time High Noon.

29 inches, hard to take a selfie and get all of the fish in the pic when they're that long:

FYI, Northern don't have a very big bottom lip, this one slipped out of the fish gripper twice:

Since I wasn't having any luck with the walleye, I decided to throw a rattle trap for some bass. Nothing big. I did lose one that looked to be about 4 pounds, it ran a couple times, I had it at the kayak twice, and then did a quick jerk and snapped my line. A few minutes later it jumped by a tree, with my lure still in its mouth...rattle trap makes a distinct sound when it's in the jaw of a jumping bass.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Nice catch. I have yet to catch a northern pike.

Mobile

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
      Nice catch. I have yet to catch a northern pike.

Mobile
      Thanks! I met the guy (whenican) that bought your Wavewalk when I was back at the ramp and getting ready to leave. First time I ever saw one of those in person, interesting kayak.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Very nice job with the pike and bass! That's a great selfie of the pike too.
        I have a 3 day weekend coming up and hopefully can get out fishing once.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Very nice job with the pike and bass! That's a great selfie of the pike too.
          I have a 3 day weekend coming up and hopefully can get out fishing once.
          Thanks! Wish I could have gotten the big bass in the yak for a pic. Took quite a few selfies to get one decent pic. LOL

I didn't know what I had on the line when that northern got hooked. Rascal ran three times before I got it close enough to see what it was. I've got my drag set pretty strong too.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I know what you mean. I thought the lure I was trolling was snagged.
            So what kind of range do you have with your Hobie? After the kids are out of college I'm going to look for a used pedal powered kayak for Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge.

Comment

I thought it might have been a good catfish, it pulled really strong.

I put in at the lower end today, and got almost to the top and back. Probably peddled 10 miles today. I haven't figured out how to get the track distance off my FF/GPS. I was on the water for about 8 hours today, constantly moving at about 1.2 knots for most of it. I tried some "speed trolling" for the last hour and a half or so, moving at 1.8-2.2 knots. Had one really good "hit", but no hook up. I was in 34 feet of water pulling a big Rapala DT that was (at best guess) running at 10 or so feet. I was hoping for a Striper, no idea what it could have been...it hit harder than the Northern.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Twas good meeting you at the res, Cowpokey. That's a nice pike in any water.
                I ended up launching off 97... Got skunked there after catching numerous crappie earlier.
                I was off the water just as the t-storm thundered in.

Comment

Nice fish and great pics.
                  That pike is a beautiful fish.
                  That looks like some nervous toes with that toothy critter down there...lol
                  2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                  2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Very nice fish. One I need to cross off my list soon for sure
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I actually saw you yesterday driving on 32... guess you were on your way home. Congrats on the fish.
                      Keith
                      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                        Nice fish and great pics.
                        That pike is a beautiful fish.
                        That looks like some nervous toes with that toothy critter down there...lol
                        Nervous toes would be accurate. That rascal had some chompers. LOL
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
                          I actually saw you yesterday driving on 32... guess you were on your way home. Congrats on the fish.
                          Yeah, I was trying to get home before the sky opened up. Traffic sucked both ways. I wasn't expecting it to be bad on the south/east side until at least the 198 area....it was jammed up by Broken Land Parkway and 95. As it turns out, the rain didn't come until around sunset here.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X