Delaware River Snakeheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware River Snakeheads

Haven't been out for snakeheads much this year but I was off Friday and decided to try bowfin in the morning and snakheads in the evening. Morning finning was uneventful except for a single 4-5 lbers that took a swipe at a spinnerbait right next to my kayak. Also had quite a few bass in the 2-3 lb range.

Switched gears and went to a different creek for a couple hours of snakeheads. I didn't switch to topwater and I was navigating to my favorite spot i took a long cast with the spinnerbait parallel to a downed log and my spinnerbait stopped. A huge snakehead leapt and thrashed. This was literally my first cast so I didnt have my gopro on yet which was a shame bc this was a monster. Was over 30 inches and about 8 lbs on my boga. Maybe ot big for you MD guys but that's real big up here. In the next 2 hours I got 2 more with one being nicer at about 5 lbs. Spinnerbaits might be my new favorite snakehead bait!

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Simply awesome. Cool fish. I didn't know they were in the Delaware river too.

Comment

That's some nice fish. SH taste better small though, the bigger one are fun to catch but doesn't taste as good IMHO.

Comment

Wow, nice catch! The wheels have been turning after seeing this post. Been doing some investigating about Snakehead in the Delaware River...living in Harford County, this sure beats traveling to Mattawoman. So far, the closest hits I have found is Lums Pond and also Becks Pond in New Castle Co, Del. Does anyone know if these areas are productive, or know of any areas relatively close with out spot burning waters you worked hard to catch SH?
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work on the SHs. Always love when they torpedo...reminds me of a fleeing arapaima

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            Wow, nice catch! The wheels have been turning after seeing this post. Been doing some investigating about Snakehead in the Delaware River...living in Harford County, this sure beats traveling to Mattawoman. So far, the closest hits I have found is Lums Pond and also Becks Pond in New Castle Co, Del. Does anyone know if these areas are productive, or know of any areas relatively close with out spot burning waters you worked hard to catch SH?
            I second this question

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I'll be honest the furthest south I've fished for snakes has been raccoon creek in jersey. I've had my eye on oldmans and the christina river in wilmington for a long time I just haven't made it that far yet. I used to live in Media so everything was at my doorstep but I moved about 40 mins west over the winter. I only found one creek in PA with them but I know there are more north of the city. If any of you guys wanna come up and do some exploratory trips I think that would be a lot of fun. I didn't know they were in Beck's or Lum's ponds but it seems the bucket biologists are spreading them everywhere these days... not that there's anything wrong with that

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice Job!
                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice snakehead! Over 30" is a big one where ever those monsters swim.

p.s. - let me know if you find a spinnerbait that can stand up to those beasts, everytime I catch one on a spinnerbait they seem to mangle it beyond repair
                  Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice looking Snakeheads. They've really expanded their territory after starting in Allen's Pond in Bowie. Maybe Frankenfish is going to take over.

Comment

I was bass fishing earlier in the day and that's the only reason I stuck with the spinnerbait. The water was very stained so I figured why not. I always just use the 99cent cabelas/dicks specials and bend the wire back after they get mangled. On this trip I had a short strike from a snakehead take the whole skirt off and still caught it on the next cast with no skirt. I like single colorado and as they say if it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        Sparky..I don't think snakeheads are in Lums Pond but they have been in Becks Pond for a few years. A few years ago a kayaker was bit by one at becks pond (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...128033358.html). I live about 10 mins from Becks Pond and may head out Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post if I find some snakeheads at becks.

Local fishing report from 5/29 . "Anglers stopping at Master Baiter’s Bait and Tackle (And yes that is a real name for the bait shop). reported action on snakeheads while fishing live shiners in Beck’s Pond. Snakeheads are an invasive species that have a negative impact populations of bass, crappies, yellow perch and bluegills, and should not be released back into the pond."

Comment

Nice snakehead action you got... congrats! I got a 24" fat female sh loaded w/eggs on monday
                          in the Anacostia River. My buddy then nails its 26" male partner right after I land mine. Both
                          caught using spinners because there was no vegetation in the water. We were using light rods and 6lb test
                          To make it more challenging. Let em run and tire themselves while you keep out the slackline. I break off 2
                          Of the 3 hooks on the treble of the C.P. Swing spinner and add a small grub.

Comment

I am usually fishing heavy cover so my light setup is 30 lb braid to 20 lb flouro ha. Snakeheads are awesome and they certainly don't bite people like alligators. They tend to get a lot of bad press. That f@#$%^ show on animal planet or whatever was the absolute most ridiculous thing I have seen on tv and probably led to thousands of snakeheads (and bowfins mistaken for snakeheads) getting unnecessarily slaughtered. I could really care less if people accept them or not as long as I can still find places to catch them. They're starting to get more popular up here, though, so I imagine in a couple years when people realize their options are catching 2 lb bass on senkos or 5 lb snakeheads on topwater they'll start to change their tune.
                            Last edited by Romo; 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So anyone that kills a snakehead in compliance with the wishes of DNR is an idiot?

That's a bit harsh. Maryland DNR and US Fish & Wildlife want them gone. So there's really no such thing as unnecessarily slaughtering of a snakehead. The fact that they've spread to the Bay, the Deleware River, and points beyond just shows how they've gotten out of hand. And I wouldn't be surprised if they got some help from anglers who get off on catching them.

If you C&R a snakehead because you can't bring yourself to kill a fish that you don't want to eat... fine. But if your motive is to release the beast so it can thrive and multiply, then you are essentially working against the DNR. Not cool.

I love fishing.
                              I loved fishing before the snakehead showed up; I love fishing now; and I'll still love it if and when they are gone.
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X