Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I <3 Fat Girls: 5/24; 5/26 (2nd Maryland LM Citation in a month) & 5/31

5/24
    Saturday after looking at the weather I figure fishing will be a little hard because of the wind. So my plan was to anchor myself from spot to spot or use the cove for cover. It work! I ended up catching 8 LM. Six was between 12-15" and two of the biggest was a 20" and 20.5". I caught most of my fish on a 10" ribbon tail worm (Red Shad) with a draggin' head hook but I caught the two 20's" on jig & craw (Alabama). I caught them around 8-10ft deep around a point.

20.5"

20"

5/26
    Monday I got on the water by 8 something a little later than I wanted too because I knew a lot of people was going to be in the water enjoying their Memorial Day Holiday. Boy was it crowded! I fish until around 2 without getting a bite. I was just about to call it quite because it was just a lot on the commotion in the water from boaters & kayakers. Also the wind kept blowing me around. On my way back to the ramp I was eyeing on a point by a cove and noticed there wasn't people near it. I figured I hit this spot before calling it a day. It was kind of hard to fish that area because of the wind. So I anchored myself and started working the point. That's when I caught this 22.25". My 2nd citation LM in a month. I caught her on a jig & craw (Alabama) in about 8-10ft of deep.

5/31
    Saturday, May 31st I didn't have a lot of time to fish and the wind was blowing like crazy. So my plan was to anchor myself around the point and see if I can get anything to bite. I end up catching 6 LM. The 17" & 18.5" was the biggest of the day. I caught them on finesse worm (pumpkin) , and ribbon tail worm (red shad).

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

EPIC!!! Way to go dude!!!

Comment

Wow Berto you are crushing them!. Will you be at the HOW event on saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by HearadonCatch View Post
        EPIC!!! Way to go dude!!!
        Thanks man!

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
        Wow Berto you are crushing them!. Will you be at the HOW event on saturday?
        Thanks! Yes I'll be down Sat. for HOW event.

Comment

That's awesome man!! Congrats!!! Been doing pretty good myself hitting the LMB.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2
          Kevin Markland
          @k.markland
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...XAJGcn9VEYDG2w

2015 Wildy ATAK- Flint Camo
          2014 Perception Pescador 12- Sand

Comment

You da Man, Berto!!
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work on the big bass.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Make sure fish are measured correctly. Mouth should be closed and tail compressed. Not trying to rain on your parade, that's a great LMB...but not 22.25".

Originally posted by Berto View Post
                5/26
                Monday I got on the water by 8 something a little later than I wanted too because I knew a lot of people was going to be in the water enjoying their Memorial Day Holiday. Boy was it crowded! I fish until around 2 without getting a bite. I was just about to call it quite because it was just a lot on the commotion in the water from boaters & kayakers. Also the wind kept blowing me around. On my way back to the ramp I was eyeing on a point by a cove and noticed there wasn't people near it. I figured I hit this spot before calling it a day. It was kind of hard to fish that area because of the wind. So I anchored myself and started working the point. That's when I caught this 22.25". My 2nd citation LM in a month. I caught her on a jig & craw (Alabama) in about 8-10ft of deep.

Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmark View Post
                  That's awesome man!! Congrats!!! Been doing pretty good myself hitting the LMB.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2
                  Thank You!

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  You da Man, Berto!!
                  Thanks Man!

Comment

Thank You!

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    Nice work on the big bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Make sure fish are measured correctly. Mouth should be closed and tail compressed. Not trying to rain on your parade, that's a great LMB...but not 22.25".
                      If you note the "Kayak for a Cure" Identifier in that photo. The tournament organizer for that particular online "catch/photo/release" charity tournament opted to go "open mouth" for that month long event. Pretty sure Berto's two big bass (22.50" and 22.25") will come in first place for that tournament (waiting for final scoring right now).

Heck of a May for big largemouth Berto! Well done!
                      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post

Thanks Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                          If you note the "Kayak for a Cure" Identifier in that photo. The tournament organizer for that particular online "catch/photo/release" charity tournament opted to go "open mouth" for that month long event. Pretty sure Berto's two big bass (22.50" and 22.25") will come in first place for that tournament (waiting for final scoring right now).

I'm not in the contest, as long as everyone uses the same standard; all is good.

Every legal regulation measurement I've been accustomed to; was mouth closed. That's been the "standard" for a long time.

Now the standard is changing? That's fine...but it sound's like it's relaxing the standard. Everyone needs a trophy...what limit is there to stretching them out? Can we pull the bottom jaw to the point of dislocation?

Just wondering.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                            I'm not in the contest, as long as everyone uses the same standard; all is good.

Every legal regulation measurement I've been accustomed to; was mouth closed. That's been the "standard" for a long time.

Now the standard is changing? That's fine...but it sound's like it's relaxing the standard. Everyone needs a trophy...what limit is there to stretching them out? Can we pull the bottom jaw to the point of dislocation?

Just wondering.
                            BTW, I wasn't implying that Berto did anything wrong in the pics...just that the rules of mouth open will be taken wrong by some people. Like the glitter boys, that think they are on TV, and exaggerate everything.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Berto, those are great bass. They are big and sloppy no matter if they have an open or closed mouth. For some reason I can't catch any bass on ribbon tail worms this year. I'll keep at it. Nice job being patient. Yes, Memorial Day had way too many people out on the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X