RAM tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM tube question

Do any of you guys use the plastic 2008 RAM tubes with the rod leash attachment points? If so, how do you keep the SOBs from moving? I tightened that puppy as tight as I could, and the stupid thing still moved relatively easily. I read that scuffing up the ball helps, but how scuffed is scuffed. I took the shine off with 200grit and scuffed up the stocked on the tube, and it still moves.

Should I sand the ball until there's some real scratches on it? Do the aluminum tubes hold better?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

I have the aluminum tubes and they do require a good tightening down to avoid moving. I have not sanded the balls yet so i don't know if that would solve the issue. The only times i have had issues is when trolling with the tubes extended to the sides. The weight of the rod and pressure from trolling will move them if they are not tightened down good.

Comment

had the same problem w/ram DF mount on the Bass boat ...... hit a wave and it slipped even tightened down ........... I roughed the ball and haven't had the problem since

I use the Scotty mounts for the Rod holders now on the Yak ......... they seem to lock in better for me

Comment

yeah even a good hit from a fish can move them. try some 150 grit sand paper it helps.

Comment

if you are looking to sell... i may be willing to buy...

Comment

I have a plastic one and an aluminum one. I don't really like them for trolling but its more that the area I mounted the ball on isn't stiff enough even with large fender washers. I need to put a backing plate in and try again. I hear roughing the balls helps but I need to fix the mount before I can really see an improvement.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I have one on my revo. Unfortunately i have not found a solution from preventing it from moving. They suck for trolling but i basically only use mine to hold my rods while rigging and for bait fishing.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

So do you toll from the back stock holders? I'm getting a Revo this week and I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for that.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  I have a plastic one and an aluminum one. I don't really like them for trolling but its more that the area I mounted the ball on isn't stiff enough even with large fender washers. I need to put a backing plate in and try again. I hear roughing the balls helps but I need to fix the mount before I can really see an improvement.
                  i still have the elec. box covers i'll give them to you thursday

Comment

I sanded the ball, and it still didn't work. I borrowed my dad's rod holder, which is the baitcaster kind with an aluminum arm, and it held better. I think the plastic is too smooth or doesn't flex enough to hold the ball. There are several guys on the kayakfishingstuff forum that troll with RAM holders, and Joe (Friday) does, too, so I'm thinking it's a aluminum vs. plastic problem. We'll see, I guess.

Japanesezero, I'll be in touch.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I tried trolling last year from the rear flush mounts. Not good. Lots of tangles. I've also read where Ram tubes might fail. Especially when trolling and getting a good hit. The attached pic is how I solved that issue once and for all!
                      Attached Files

Comment

So I'm sitting here reading posts on the "kayak friends network" when I stumble on this thread about roughing your balls. I almost had to reboot my laptop till I finally saw the reasoning.

I've had 2 stainless rod holders on ram balls on a boat since 1986. I've never had them slip, but I don't trust them. I've never put more than a spinning rod in them and keep the drag setting loose. I also have a double ball version holding a Garmin. This one has never slipped either, but there's nowhere for it to go if it does.

Comment

watch out rick might try to rough up your ram balls

Comment

Working...
                          X