Anyone heading out this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heading out this weekend

Temps will be in the 50's this weekend with no rain as of now. Anyone going out? If you where and when? What do you hope to catch or discover?

I am looking forward to trying out my kayak now that it is all rigged- got to figure out all the settings on the Hummingbird down imaging fish finder and learn how to use it- Sunday should be fun- Thanks, Moc and Ictalurus- I think we will catch some fish and have a good time-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I assume the Humminbird is Side scan, have the 898 on the boat and love it, thinking of putting the 7 series on the yak. If side scan, let me know how you rigged the transducer and how it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
        I assume the Humminbird is Side scan, have the 898 on the boat and love it, thinking of putting the 7 series on the yak. If side scan, let me know how you rigged the transducer and how it worked.
        Unfortunately the wiring broke where the terminals hook into the battery so I fished blind today- still had a great day with my first outing- the OK Prowler performed better than I did- Thanks Bill and Martin for taking me under your wing-

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

It was good meeting you today, Ron. I checked my GPS at the ramp as we were loading our yaks up, and I covered 3.2 miles, so it's no wonder you were beat at the end. I bet you covered at least 5 miles. Pretty impressive for your first day in a yak. I can't wait to see that down imaging sonar in action.

It was good to see Martin again, too. I'm looking forward to see how you rig your Revo.

I got my April fish today:

I caught that one on a bumblebee rooster tail. I caught a bigger one later on a firetiger Vibric rooster tail that I was trolling. Trolling rooster tails seemed to be the way to go. One couple in a little electric boat kept slaying them right in front of me. Water temp was 50*.

Trout before cooking:

Succulent lemon dill trout served with sour cream dill golden mashed potatoes and pasta with alfredo sauce:

Random shot (hopefully, spring is fully sprung)--tulips in my yard:

Thanks for the fun day, gents.
          Last edited by ictalurus; 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks, Bill- fish looks tasty- we all caught fish today, so no skunk on us- the trolling worked best for me, too-

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
            No- it is a down imaging unit- here is how I rigged the transducer and battery-

Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Nice fish ........ but where's the secret spot ......... looks a little like Piney Run

Comment

It's Wheatley Lake in Gilbert Run Park. It's probably one of the most shore fishing friendly lakes I've ever seen, and the park overall is pretty cool.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yes it was a great time. Even though Ron said that this was his first paddle on a kayak, he did well. He was the one the discovered that we would catch trout while trolling white rooster tails. On this day, Ron, the new guy, would have the hot hand at fishing. Ron, Bill , and myself was able to catch our April fish. There was a four angler named Carlos who borrow a yak from Bill. He was pretty new at kayaking in terms of having all the proper gear. It was fun fishing with everyone. It was even neater to see how everyone rigged their kayaks. Now that Ron has kayak, he said that he will have to make a few modification on his yak based on his real time experience he now has on the water with his new fishing machine. I cannot wait until the water warms up and the fishing/catching ratio really picks up. At least the dreaded skunk did not visit my rod on this day.

Bill, that trout dinner looked great!!! You should post the recipe.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm glad you were able to download your pics, Martin. Not that there would be a reason that you wouldn't be able to.

Have you tried your camera rig for self portraits yet?

I like cooking trout because they have their own pop-up timers. A lot people don't like cooking fish with the head on, but it makes it much easier to make a consistent product. We bake them at 350* until the eye turns white and the dorsal fin pulls out easily. These two were small enough that we baked them in our toaster oven.

The trout were gutted and brushed with lemon juice and a little butter, and we sprinkled the dill on top and in the body cavity. Real lemons are nicer, and you can put slices in the body cavity, which does a more thorough job of imparting a little lemon flavor. It was grocery day, and we were lacking in fresh ingredients and were starving. If you want to really enhance the flavor of the trout, grill/bake some burgers and/or bacon first, then cook the trout on the same pan or foil. A buddy of mine once cooked some trout on the grill after making some burgers first, and it was fantastic. The meat from around the tail tasted like the trout version of fried chicken.

My wife used Yukon gold potatoes for the mashed potatoes. I'll ask what her ratio of sour cream to potatoes is.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks Moc and Bill- we are cooking our trout tonight for supper- I use a more basic recipe, but very similar to Bill's- my wife doesn't like dill so that is the one main difference- if you slice the lemons really thin and use a little Tony Sachrez cajun seasons- (and real butter, not margarine) yummmmmm! I drizzle just a tad of cold pressed extra virgin oilve oil over them to wet them so the seasoning sticks better- then lay the sliced lemon on them- I put two big pats of butter in the stomach cavity, too- got five nice rainbows to go in the oven in a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        I'm glad you were able to download your pics, Martin. Not that there would be a reason that you wouldn't be able to.

Have you tried your camera rig for self portraits yet?

I like cooking trout because they have their own pop-up timers. A lot people don't like cooking fish with the head on, but it makes it much easier to make a consistent product. We bake them at 350* until the eye turns white and the dorsal fin pulls out easily. These two were small enough that we baked them in our toaster oven.

The trout were gutted and brushed with lemon juice and a little butter, and we sprinkled the dill on top and in the body cavity. Real lemons are nicer, and you can put slices in the body cavity, which does a more thorough job of imparting a little lemon flavor. It was grocery day, and we were lacking in fresh ingredients and were starving. If you want to really enhance the flavor of the trout, grill/bake some burgers and/or bacon first, then cook the trout on the same pan or foil. A buddy of mine once cooked some trout on the grill after making some burgers first, and it was fantastic. The meat from around the tail tasted like the trout version of fried chicken.

My wife used Yukon gold potatoes for the mashed potatoes. I'll ask what her ratio of sour cream to potatoes is.
                        When you cook them with the head on ........ make sure you eat the cheek meat ........ MMMMMM Good ........... literally fit for a King ......... really ..... some kings in the Middle ages had meals of just the cheek meat ......

Comment

nice job guys. finally getting motivated to get the yak ready for the season, got the GTX exp. seat ready and put the HDPE strips on the rear keel today while its warm. all that i need to do now is put the roof rack back on and load it up.

Comment

thanks for the pics and report, sounded like a blast. does the side scan just use one transducer?
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X