Farmington landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmington landing

I launched from Farmington landing this morning. Pedaled out to the Potomac past Fort Washington. It was further than it looked on the maps. The area I stopped in was about 10-12 foot deep and full of debris. The cats were breaching like baby whales. I was able to catch two, both right at 25 inches. They eventually moved on, or decided to tone down the splash contest. I moved out deeper and dropped my anchor, using all the line I had. It finally caught and held. I had some yak shaking hits, but no takers. I had to pack up and head back in. I couldn't free my anchor. After about 15 minutes of fighting the current, fighting my stringer of fish and nearly pulling the outback under I decided to cut it loose. It was one of those nifty ones with the arms that fold out. Still a good morning, I have a heavy logging chain to take its place.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Nice cats!
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

You must have gotten some nice pullage. Did you use a grappling style.anchor or a claw type anchor?

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

It was the grappling type. Couple of pounds with the arms that collapse and lock in place. It was very compact. The darker cat hit my longer rod that was in my homemade rod holder attached to my crate. He never paused, just kept running. I will usually hold my catfish rods, but I had two out. He rocked me pretty good. I loosened the drag a little more after that

Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Nice fish. There is a way of rigging those anchors with a zip tie to keep from losing them. I just use a 5lb iron plate but I've seen a thread somewhere on how to rig those. I think you tie the main line to the bottom of the anchor and zip tie it to the top eye. When it won't budge you pull hard enough to break the zip tie, which then puts all the leverage on the other end of the anchor.
          Mike

Comment

Thx mike. I saw that too when I bought it. Never got around to doing it. Now I don't have to worry about it
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

I've never tried the chain idea but wish I had one this weekend to slow me down in a few spots on the river. The 5lb lifting plate works surprisingly well as a cheap alternative to a $20-30 anchor. It has held me in 15mph wind with well under 2x the rope vs the depth of water I was in. It even held great on the river yesterday, actually had it stuck a bit once.
              Mike

Comment

Went back to Farmington this morning. I did not pedal out to the Potomac, just went about 100 yards out. Immediately dropped my small container of stink bait into the drink. The lid was off, figured I might as well sit still. Luckily I had brought some nightcrawlers too. I put 5 cats in the boat and 2 really hungry perch. How they got the catfish hook in their mouths is a mystery. The worms were larger. After I had enough cats I pedaled over to the back with all the vegetation. 4 or 5 bruisers were tearing it up. Cats or carp, it looked and sounded like a belly flop competition. I threw a bunch of stuff at them. No good. I called it a day came home washed the yak, the car and cleaned some fish. Only 1 jerk in a boat buzzed me. Full speed, planed out to within 40 yards, then a hard 90 degree turn into the bank to fish. Could have been worse.

Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                X