Fishfinder install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder install question

I am getting a Hummingbird 597CI HD for my kayak in a few weeks and I have two questions. One is what is the device actually called that is a compression fitting (That forms a water proof seal)that you screw in the hole that you drill to pass the trasnducer and power cables through the plast hull of the kayak?

Second, what is the electrical compound that people are starting to use to stick the transducer to the hull. It might be called duct seal, but I am not sure. I also head that there is another product with a similar name that is not the one that you want. So I want to know the full correct name of the compound to buy for my transducer....

The ones that we carry at West Marine are called liquid tight seals, made by Anchor, and are in the electrical isle near the electrical fittings. There are also the ones used to run antenna wire through a bulkhead. They make a nice looking job also. They are in the antenna section. They all do a nice job.

I think the seal that everyone is using is the duct seal or electricl seal. The one they are not using is the plummers putty.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
      The ones that we carry at West Marine are called liquid tight seals, made by Anchor, and are in the electrical isle near the electrical fittings. There are also the ones used to run antenna wire through a bulkhead. They make a nice looking job also. They are in the antenna section. They all do a nice job.

I think the seal that everyone is using is the duct seal or electricl seal. The one they are not using is the plummers putty.
      Damn nice fishfinder- Moc- I looked hard at that one but it was just a bit too much money for my budget- I am envious!

HB Duct Seal- found in the electrical section of hardware stores- sells in one pound package- about $4
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-29-2011, 06:29 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the info and it is good that I can get it local. Looks like I will be heading to West Marine and Home Depot in the next few weeks after tax season.

I thought long and hard about this fishfinder. It was on the pricey side between $570 and $600. Cabela had it onsale for $499, no tax, and only $5 shipping. That was cheaper that what I could get it at the Paddle Sport 2011 show in NJ. I was looking at the 385CI Combo but at BPS it was selling for $400 + Tax. That would bring it to $424 where the 597 would cost me $504, so I was willing to spring for the extra $80 to get the larger screen.

Comment

Yeah, great price and an easy decision- I bought my 570DI at $272 (my budget for FF was $300) plus $9.99 so that made it the one for me-

Comment

Will the down-imaging work shooting through the hull?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I believe there are two models according to Hummingbird, the 597CI HD Combo which I am getting, and then there is the 597CI HD DI Combo, which is $100 more, which I did not order. The DI is the down imaging.

Comment

According to the Humminbird rep I spoke with, DI will work through hull.
                Digital Livewell

Comment

Correct. That is why I did not get the down imaging model after talking to the Hummingbird Guys at the Paddle Sport Show over the weekend. DI will not work shooting through a hull.

Comment

moc, the rep I spoke with said they had a shoot through hull DI transducer.
                    Digital Livewell

Comment

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
                      moc, the rep I spoke with said they had a shoot through hull DI transducer.
                      Same with me- She explained that the only thing I might lose was the temp but after I explained the duct well system, she even thought that would work, too. Told me just to use the transducer that came with the unit- they recommend a two part slow cure epoxy, but I explained our duct seal system of transducer mounting for the slick, thin plastic hulls-

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

I know, I have been looking at those units also, with the DI. However, I hate to give up my thru the scupper hole mount. Maybe some day they will come up with a through hull transducer for those units. I don't want to give up any features, as feedback is important. I have even thought of putting the transducer under the electric motor. However, then I will have to store the transducer on the kayak somehow, when the electric motor is off the boat. Well, until then, the old 383ci does the job.

moc: Looks nice, let us know how things work out.

Comment

Thanks for the info, gents. Now I really have fish finder envy. I've been wanting a fish finder for my Tarpon. Maybe I can use my old one on the Tarpon and get a new one for the Revo--that way, I'm recycling. I wonder if that will fly with my wife. Fortunately for me, her hobby (horses, don't get me started) is much more expensive than mine.

Don--You might be able to rig something with the thru-hull transducer. The ones I've seen are cylindrical and might fit in the scupper hole. You would just have to figure out how to hold it there.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

duct seal will hold it. i hope these units will hold up to the abuse they will get on a kayak its a lot of money to spend for a ff that could get damaged. its not like a nice cozy spot on a console.

Comment

Working...
                              X