Solo canoe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo canoe?

Anyone have experience paddling a solo canoe? I'm thinking about picking one up. The light weight is really appealing to me and I could take my dog with me.

I mostly fish the susky below wingo. How are solo canoes for paddling up river in some current?
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

I have a solo canoe. I actually had it before my kayaks. The best thing about it is the light weight. I was scared my Lab would flip me when I took her with me. I know its allot slower and more unstable than my kayaks. I don't have any experience in moving water. I only used it in ponds. The only time I currently use it is when I really need to get some where and the light weight is a needed requirement.

All this said my Native Ultimate 14.5 does better with the dogs and paddling.

The canoe I have is and old town discovery 119.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I've never tried a solo canoe, but I've paddled many full size canoes by myself. I just positioned my self a little aft of center.
      A solo canoe would be fine for lakes, streams, and rivers. But I wouldn't take it out in the Bay or the wide section of the Potomac unless the winds are calm. And even then, I'd stick within a couple hundred yards of the shore.
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
      X