Not Yak, but fishing on the pier introduced new opportunities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Yak, but fishing on the pier introduced new opportunities

With Tog season being closed I started to target flounder at CHSP, I went saturday night w/ the yak, but with the conditions being a bit windy I decided to try my luck on the pier. The report from earlier in the day was good as people were leaving with catches of flounders, bluefish, and shark. I got there at about 9:30 pm and it got pretty chilly real quick. After popping 2 bucktails on the pilings I got a hit, but at mid water level.. A bit confused as to why a flounder would hit that high in the water column I was quickly corrected by a big silver streak in the water. Landed a nice 20" weakfish. Through out the night I saw large silver streaks in the water which were way too big to be bunker so I am assuming they were a mix of bluefish and weakfish.

I began to notice long streaks of muddy water coming down from the upper parts of the bay I am assuming from the rain events the day before. Bites got real slow with not many people catching anything for a long period of time. On the out as I was leaving I saw 2 people catching keeper flounders each so I thought I would try near them. Not soon after I managed to land a 20.25" flounder.

I am planning to try to take a few mirrolures out next time to see what those long silver streaks were.. Also... I am going to test out night fishing possibilities the next time I head out. There has been reports made to the bait shop at the park (with photos) of 30+ inch stripers caught on the pier already this year. Hopefully I'll hook into a big one.
    Last edited by dson05; 05-19-2014, 08:36 AM.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Thanks for the update, beautiful fish. How packed was the pier? May try it this weekend.
    Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Nice going! Pretty fish.

(Your speck isn't a speck though. It is actually a weakfish or grey trout)

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah I was just typing the response to correct myself, but I didn't think twice at the moment because the Park Police called it a speck. Haha. He saw it when I caught it. Keeper none the less but I would have let it go if I knew at that moment. Trying to keep the species number intact. I also saw what looked like roe inside.. =(.

Coastal_Dan... the pier was really packed, but for some reason not many people stay into the night. A lot of people left when I got there.
        The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Nice job. I hope to get out there soon after the coming holiday. Maybe we could hook up??
          2015 Outback
          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Working...
          X