Mallows Bay on 05/17/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallows Bay on 05/17/14

Odd day of bass fishing. First time I have ever caught more snakeheads than bass on the tidal potomac. All fish came on a football jig and craw trailer. Keep Mallows in mind if we are having a high water event on the Potomac River. Mallows is far enough down the river to minimize the high, off color water problems.

6 - snakeheads (all small, 21" or smaller)
    5 - largemouth bass
    2 - channel catfish
    1 - blue catfish

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Wow, looks like you had a great day of catching!
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Awesome fishing! I ll put mallows bay on my list,thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Outstanding!!!!!!.......looking forward to putting Mallows Bay on my list. GREAT JOB!
        Hobie Pro Angler 14 Yellow

"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port and the other was an atrocious liar"

Comment

U've been busy. Congrats on the catch. U plan eating the snakeheads? I've wanted to check out the boat graveyard.
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice job Dave. That's a lot of snakeheads for one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              Wow, looks like you had a great day of catching!
              I really need to start looking at it that way. I was getting ticked off cause I was not catching bass. That channel cat fought like a champ.

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
              U've been busy. Congrats on the catch. U plan eating the snakeheads? I've wanted to check out the boat graveyard.
              I had half of the one in the picture for lunch today .
              Kept two, donated two to the Osprey nest area, one squirmed free when I was unhooking it and one I let go.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Nice job Dave. That's a lot of snakeheads for one trip.
              That is the most I have ever landed in one trip. Number 7, a much larger snakehead, was on for about 3 seconds before the hook pulled. In a bizarre bout of behavior, after shaking the hook, it circled completely around the kayak, then it jumped clear of the water right in front of me. Some type of flight/escape maneuver like it was being chased by something.
              Dave

Comment

Nice Job Dave!
                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Great job, thanks for the report!
                  Mike
                  Feelfree Lure 11.5
                  Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Dave, what kind of area were you catching the Snakehead? Were they amongst the ships or in cover by the shoreline? Or back in that little cove if you go to the right from the launch? Congrats on the great day.
                    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                      Dave, what kind of area were you catching the Snakehead? Were they amongst the ships or in cover by the shoreline? Or back in that little cove if you go to the right from the launch? Congrats on the great day.
                      just about every time I have fished Mallows it always seems to set up the same way

the blue cats are patrolling the outer-most scuttled ships, where the water gets 4-6 feet deep right around the area of the last visible wreckage, go out there with a big bladed spinnerbait and I will bet one will try to rip your rod away from you, I hooked and lost a monster out there late last season (I was completely under gunned for a fish that size), I imagine cutbait or chicken breast would wreak havoc out there

the snakeheads are close to the shoreline, sometimes in just inches of water, all kinds of vegetation and debris seems to be their preferred environment, on Saturday I found them buried in weeds, on laydown logs and also tucked against the side of the old ships, they were always shallow

the largemouth bass can be found between the blue cats and the snakeheads

note: I did not fish that cove, I have pulled some bass out of there but when I drive all the way down to Mallows I always want to play amoungst the ship debris (just cause it is so different)
                      Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave!

Sent from my Tricorder
                        Mike
                        Feelfree Lure 11.5
                        Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Sounds like a great day of fishing to me. Thanks for the info for fishing there.

Mallows bay is on my to do list this year as well. Is this place doable in a Hobie?? Or am I just looking to destroy my PA12's turbo fins?
                          Im waiting on a good deal to pop up on trident 11 or similar smaller lighter yak that will be easier to use in these type areas. Just not sure when that will be.
                          Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 05-22-2014, 02:11 AM.
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the details Dave! The one trip I made there last year, I spent too much time in that cove.
                            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by CAGE RATTLER View Post
                              Is this place doable in a Hobie?? Or am I just looking to destroy my PA12's turbo fins?
                              I've never been in a Hobie before but there is an awful lot of of wood and metal hiding below the surface at Mallows. You have to be careful where the scuttled ships are. One of these days I just know I will get a spike stuck in one of my scuppers (and I will have to jump out to get unhung). I suspect the fins would take a beating down there. There is also the potential of taking a bad spill over there and getting yourself impaled on something sharp.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X